Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Brian's POV....

Sometimes I thought it was pointless being next in line. I never got to handle my own matters, I never got to demonstrate my power, and nothing ever went the way I wanted it to go. It was a waste of time being the next Alpha if I wasn't going to be able to run my pack the way I needed to.

I would be surprised if my father even stood down when it came time for me to take over. He was so caught up making his little plans and alliances with other packs that he probably forgot that my birthday was in a week, my eighteenth birthday which is when I am meant to take over as Alpha.

I couldn't even think about taking over at the moment. I needed to talk to my father about his arrangement with Alpha James McManus. My father had arranged with Alpha James years ago for his daughter Caitlin and I to be married. And I agreed, even though I had never met her before.

It was all because of our family curse. Alphas in our pack never found their mates. My father told me when I was younger that many generations ago, My ancestor, Alpha David, Declared war on a smaller pack that no longer exists. They were small in numbers but they had the help of a witch. Wolves and witches don't mix, But this witch was apparently mated to the Alphas son.

When Alpha David invaded their lands, He murdered the Alphas son while he slept. Alpha David then raped and beat the witch within an inch of her life. With her last breath she cast a spell on Alpha David, so that his sons and all their sons that come after them would never find their mates.

And so instead of finding a mate and living happily ever after, I will be marrying Caitlin, 3 weeks after my coronation. If it ever happens.

"Alpha" I greeted my father as I walked into his office.

He looked up from his paper work and then looked back down, I suppose that was more of an acknowledgment than I usually get.

"We need to talk about Caitlin" I said, as I sat down on one of the leather chairs that sat in front of his desk.

My father licked his finger and turned to the next page that was in his hand. He stared at the page for a few seconds before putting it down. He folded his arms over his chest and rested them on the desk in front of him.

"It's too late for you to pull out. You agreed to it 3 years ago. You've had plenty of time to pull out. She came to live here so you could get familiar with each other. You could have pulled out at any time. But not 4 weeks before you are to be married" He said, looking me in the eye, almost challenging me to defy him.

I didn't care if it was a year, 2 years, or 4 weeks before the wedding. I didn't want to marry her. She was whiney, and rude, and most importantly, she didn't know her place. It's not that I thought she was below me or anything, I knew that when we were married and the mating was complete she would be my equal. But she acted as if I was beneath her.

Caitlin had moved here when she was 13. Our fathers assumed that we would hit it off right away and there would be no need to force the marriage on us. That was before I met Dylan.

Dylan Rhymes. Once upon a time I thought she was my mate. I thought I had broken the curse and that I had found my mate. But the feeling wasn't strong enough. I loved her, there was no mistaking that I loved her, but she wasn't my mate.

When I figured out that we weren't mates, I went on a 3 day bender with Jake and cotton. I got so drunk I ended up sleeping with Caitlin. She was always hanging around waiting for me to slip up so she could catch me. Dylan found out that I had cheated on her, and we broke up.

I was determined to get her back; I put in so much effort to convince her to forgive me. Finally she gave up, and we got back together. A few months ago my father called me into his office. He sat me down in the Alphas chair and said "This is going to be yours someday very soon. But it will only be yours, if you marry Caitlin. It needs to end with the chubby girl. Today" I had no choice, there was no way to fight it, he had used his Alpha tone. It wasn't a demand, it was a command. One that I couldn't argue with.