Broken Spirit

Sarah Beth~

Ms. Madge wanted her rent at the beginning of the month instead of at the end, when I was suppose to receivemy paycheck. I had no other choice but to give her the £75, leaving me with only £25 left. The Ministry only gave me £100 to start out. That woulnd't have been a problem if I would have came prepared with lots of food, but I didn't.

After eating at Mr. Cornelius I came home to realize that barley had anything more than half a box of crakers and a fourth of a block of cheese. I had no other choice but to go to the grocery.

The next day after work I got in my car and drove straight to the Grocery Ashley had went to on our first date. I got out of the car, peering at the long, stout building. It looked much bigger in the daylight. I walked up to the glass doors. Suddenly, they seppareted to unblock my path. I walked through, open mouthed and amazed.

Indside, people were walking around casually, brousing all the food choices. I grabbed a small basket from a stack of them next to the door and went down an aisl. I looked at the breads first: £5 a loaf. Wow. That was a lot. Never the less, I grabbed one and put it in the basket. That left me £20. I would hav eot only get the essentale.

I walked into the next aisle to find a big jar of peanut butter on sale for £3. I grabbed it happily. That left £18. I continued to brous, grabbing only things that I really needed: A few cans of chicken noodle soup, a head of lettuce, some apple sauce, some celery, a gallon of milk and a box of cereal. I walked up to the check out line.

"Hello," Said a red haired man. I looked up to see that it was Ashley's friend Paige.

"Hi, Paige!" I happily greeted him.

"Oh, hello Sarah Beth!" He started ringing up the groceries. "Wow, £30 even." I looked down.

"Oh..." I was £5 short. "Um... I hate to ask you this, but I know that you are Ashley's friend, so can you loan me £5? Please? I'll pay you back when I get my paycheck. This is litterally all I've got...' he thought for a moment, and then sighed.

"Only because you are Ashley's girlfriend. Can you really not afford this?"

"I wouldn't lie about this. But don't tell Ashley. I don't want him to know...promise you won't tell him."

"You're being a bit childish about this, aren't you?"

"Promise!" I exclaimed.

"Ohkay, ohkay.l I promise." He handed me the groceries. They could all fit in three bags.

"Oh thank you Paige! You're the best!" I ran behind his counter thing and hugged him tightly.

"You welcome." HE laughed.

"Thanks again!" I waved at him as I left. I got out of the door justi n time to see a huge truck with a hook coming from teh back pullng my car along behind it. "Hey!" I shouted as I ran beside it. "What are you doing?!" The truck haulted and the window rolled down.

"City's orders. You were parked in a no parking zone."

"They have those?" I aksed, but he didn't answer. INstead, he rolled the window back up and drove off, makng sure to leave a trail of smoke from teh egsaust in my face.

What was I suppose to do now? I didn't ahve a car. I couldn't hitch a ride, so I took desprate messures. I sprinted to the back of tehe building and found a dark cornor that was deserted. CAresul that no one could see me, I Apparated back to my appartment.

I walked into the kitchen and put the bags on teh table. What was I gong to do? How was I suppose to get to work? I couldn't Apparate there. It would be daylight and everyoen could see me. I sat down in the chair, overwhelmed. What was I to do? I didn't know the answer. A few minutes later I found myself doing something I hadn't done in a long time: I put my face in my hands and cried.