Abdominal Nausea, or Upper Abdominal Nausea

Marital life. It's pretty sweet. Ever since the wedding, Sarah Beth and I settled down nicely. We had a coffee house, an actual house, and the same last name. As far as I was concerned, that was all we needed. Of course, I knew there would be more to come, but I was not prepared for what it might have been. This came about a month after Eleanor Malfoy's trial. What was this, you might ask?

I was pretty sure that Sarah Beth was pregnant.

Not 100%, but maybe 40%. 60%? Let's say 58%.

There were symptoms. Nausea, vomiting, fatigue, asking me to buy a tub of strawberries and cheese sauce at 3:17 a.m, et cetera. Coming from a line of very intuitive, observant geniuses on both sides of my family, I felt that there was no shame in searching the symptoms on WebMD.

First, I typed in "nausea", and then it made me choose whether it was nausea of the abdomen or the upper abdomen. I decided that this was a stupid question and chose "abdomen".

Then, it asked me if this was during pregnancy or not.

"Oh." I said to myself.

WebMD had almost never lied to me before, so I decided to talk to Sarah Beth. I then resolved not to talk to Sarah Beth, since it had occurred to me that she probably would want to find out herself. If she didn't notice by the time she reached 15 weeks, then I would ask.

Another thing was a certain note that I had found stashed away in her jewelry box. I was putting away a set of earrings that she had left on the table when I saw it. It was a yellow parchment, so I knew it had something to do with Wizarding business. I left it alone.

Of course, I knew that Sarah Beth wouldn't mind me reading it. Besides, we shared everything with each other! I opened the letter and read it:

Sarah Beth Cumberland Carter,

After sorting through submission and possibilities, we have decided to offer you the position of Muggle Studies professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Given your history, you have the experience and knowledge, we feel, to teach this subject the correct way, and with correct information, an experience that students had not had in the past.

We are very aware of your newly marital status, and we hope that this does not sway your decision. The staff has discussed this situation, and we are willing to compromise with you upon further discussion.

If you are even slightly interested, I ask that you contact me, so we schedule a meeting and work out details of your employment.

Have a nice day, Mrs. Carter,

Minerva McGonagall

I closed the letter and placed it back in the jewelry box, exactly as I left it. I picked up some candy wrappers and an empty can of whipped cream from Sarah Beth's vanity, throwing them away in the kitchen.

I sat at the keyboard in the living room, playing random notes and trying to find a new melody to use for a song. I went to my desk and tried to write. I managed to finish the word "I". After that, I went to the fridge. I picked up a half-empty container of milk and sat it on the counter. I stared at it for many minutes.

---

"Ashley?"

I snapped back to reality. I had rested my chin on the counter, with my nose inches away from the nutrition label.

"Why were you staring at a half-empty container of milk?" my wife queried, for good reason. I had no idea.

"I have no idea." I put it back in the fridge. I stared at my wife. She was holding a large box of donuts.

"Would you like some donuts? They have custard, and I know how much you like custard, and... is there something wrong? You seem... contemplative."

"Probably because I am."

"Why? Is there something wrong, sweetie?"

"I found your earrings on the table. The ones with the apples on them. I put them back in your jewelry box."

"Oh? Thanks! I would have forgotten!" She placed the donuts on the counter and walked to the bedroom. She returned some nine seconds later. "Ashley, oh my goodness! I meant to tell you about the job offer!"

"When? How long have you had that?"

"About two days..."

"Sarah Beth..."

"I apologize! I was just waiting for the right moment! I know you've been busy trying to book that concert at the East Wind and all, and I thought I'd wait for that to settle first."

"Sarah Beth, this is important! Do you know what that letter means?"

"It means I get to be the first professor at Hogwarts to truly bridge the gap between the Muggle and Wizarding Worlds!"

"It means I don't see you for months at a time!"

"But it will be worth it! I promise! I'll still keep in touch with you."

"Why do you say that like you've already made a decision?"

"Because I've already written a letter accepting the position."

I was in absolute disbelief. She intended to leave me to go and teach at Hogwarts? Just when everything was finally falling into place? I couldn't believe that she had made her decision without me.

"Why would you do that? Why now?"

"Ashley, we're married now! We don't have to worry now! This job will keep us financially afloat! Since my job is Muggle-related, I can convert my salary to Muggle money and we will be set! And I would trust you if you had to go off and do something like this!"

"But I need you! I can't do any of this without you!"

"What do you mean? You have the guys to help you!"

"No! I don't think you understand, Sarah Beth! Without you here, I find it hard to motivate myself to do anything! All I had before you got here was a crummy minimum wage job with a crummy boss and a band where I'm the only one who can't write a good song to save my life! I sat here and didn't have a single thing to look forward to! I mean I'm not the prescription-medicated mess I was back in high school, but I didn't get into this marriage just to lose you right after getting you!"

"Oh... Ashley..." She ran up to me and threw her arm around my waist. "You're not losing me! I may not be right here. I may have to talk to you via letter. Nevertheless, I can absolutely, positively guarantee that you will never come a single step close to losing me. I love you too much, Ashley Carter."

I noticed that I was breathing pretty heavily, so I tried to calm down. "But Hogwarts will keep you for months."

"Ashley, this is so important. Not just for me, but probably the future of our world. Both of our worlds. And yes, they are both our worlds!"

"I guess... But-

She interrupted me by kissing me. I furrowed my brow at her. She smiled.

"Look, I won't send the letter yet. We'll talk to McGonagall about our options, okay?"

"Okay. I just want to be careful, especially with you being in your condition."

She looked puzzled. "My condition?"

Oh, crap. "I mean your position. As in the Brew!"

"Okay..." she replied hesitantly. "Here. Let's eat these donuts."

"Sweet. Sounds great!"

We walked over to the kitchen counter and opened the box.

"Ashley, do we have any whipped cream? I kinda want to try it on these donuts, for no particular reason..."

"I don't believe so. Sorry."