Losing My Grip On Reality

"...witch."

I stared into Sarah Beth's eyes, struggling to comprehend what she just said. I knew she was dotty, but this was... extreme.

"Sarah Beth. What?"

"I. Am. A. Witch."

"I don't... I don't understand what-"

"What I am saying is... I am a witch. A magical 'uman being. A magical 'uman being who can do magical things. You know... magic."

I tried to keep myself from giggling. She seemed so serious! It actually began to worry me, but I knew she was joking.

"That's, er... nice, Sarah Beth."

"You don't believe me."

"I do... I guess- I mean, yes. I see what you are saying, but-"

"Guess I'll 'ave to show ye myself." She shook her arm, and an ornate stick fell into her hand from her sleeve.

"Whoa. What?"

"Wingardium Leviosa." She said solemnly, as she swished and pointed the wand to a clothes-covered chair on the other side of the room. To my shock, it lifted and began to levitate, and some of the old shirts fell off of it from the air.

"What is- What?!" I looked at her. "You are?! How are you doing that?!"

She lowered the chair. "Magic, like I said."

I began to search my mind, and I remembered Paige. "Are you, like, Wiccan or something?"

"What? No! Being a wizard isn't a religion! It's just something you're born with or not."

"Oh, okay. Sorry."

"It's fine. People seem to 'ave that stereotype on magic folks 'ere, apparently."

"Yeah..." Suddenly, I came to, realizing once again that I was talking to my girlfriend about her evident magical abilities. "Wait! So why haven't you told me?!"

Suddenly, a letter shot through the mail slot on my door, landing in Sarah Beth's hand.

"That's why. I'm not supposed to tell Muggles about magic."

"Muggles?"

"Non-magical people. Also, I 'ad to be sure I could trust you, Ashley. I wouldn't trust anyone else."

"I... I'm... I don't know what to say."

"I know. Tell me you love me! Please! This is something I 'ave worried about forever, and I would rather you find out from me, and not by accident."

"I, should, I guess."

"You guess?" She bit her lip. "If I 'had not told you, would you still love me?"

"Then I do! You're not any diff- Well... you are, but... How did you find this out, anyway?"

"Well, my Mum and Dad were magical, but they died and I and I lived with my Auntie."

"Is she-?"

"Yes. I come from a strictly wizard-only family, basically. Auntie is not as kind to Muggles, and that's why she wasn't so kind to you."

"I... wow..."

"But she will learn to! She must!"

"Why 'must'?"

"Because she will 'ave to accept us!"

"Oh." I smiled a bit. "So... that letter?"

"It's from the Ministry for Magic. Our government. I'm in a 'eap now for tellin' ya."

"Sorry."

"For what?"

"Er, nothing." I scratched the back of my head awkwardly. "You know... we all knew you were different."

"What?"

"The band."

"Oh! Don't you tell them!"

"Do you not trust my friends?"

"Oh?! I mean, I do, but not with this. Sorry..."

"Don't be. They're not so secretive. Well, Cal is, but certainly not Jeff and Paige. They'd get too much of a kick, and... Can you do that thing again?"

"Uh?"

"The Leviosar?"

"What? No, Ash. I't's Leviosa, not Leviosar. And besides, want to see something better?"

"Sure!"

"Orchideous." She held her stick (er, wand) out, and a bouquet of pink dahlias sprouted from it, like the time lapse of a plant's growth.

"Amazing." I looked into her eyes, which reflected the image of me looking over the dahlias. "It's just amazing."

"And this is only a scratch of the Wizarding World." We leaned in to kiss over the flowers, but were interrupted by another letter that flew straight into Sarah Beth's hands once again.

"Oh, I used another spell. We might want to go in and speak to someone at the Ministry about this. I 'ave no intentions of keeping secrets from you any longer."