Karaoke Night

Sarah Beth Cumberland~

When I pulled into the parking lot of the Old bean that night I felt much more welcome. The incedibly expensive sports cars that were there earlier were not replaced by old, cruddy cars that were alot like my own.

Inside the lights were dimmed and strobe lights were flashing to the beat of what ever song was playing. the air smelled like a mixture of coffee, cheap beer, and salted peanuts. everyone around me was mingling and having fun, making me realize that this probably wasn't the best idea.

I was new in town. I knew a whole three people, two of which I would not want to party with. I scaned the crowd, looking for Taylor's blonde hair.

"I see you came, er... Sorry, what was your name again?" I turned around to see just who I was looking for.

"Sarah beth. Hi, Taylor."

"Yeah, that was it. Sarah Beth. I heard you almost killed someone today." I chuckled.

"Yeah. This guy just, like, ran infront of my car."

"I believe you ran into him."

"Yeah, well-"

"How is everyone tonight?" A voice rang through the air and hung there for a minute or two. The crowd responded with a loud cheer. "Great! So, who's ready to karaoke?" Again, the crowd went crazy. "Whoa, ohkay! Entries are now open!" The guy stepped off the stage as a sea of people gathered around the table he was now standing behind.

"Why don't you go down there?" Taylor asked, "Pick out a song maybe? They have some pretty good ones."

"I think I might do that." Confidently, I marched up tot he table, the sea of people and by then waved away, and leaned against it. The emcee's back was to me, so I loudly cleared my throat.

"Yes?" He turned around. My jaw dropped; it was the guy I almost killed earlier that day.

"I-wow. Hey!" I said brightly.

"Hey," He said back, "hit anybody else today?" he joked.

"No, well..I almost ran over a cat on the way here...It was sad. Poor kitty."

"You like cats?"

"They are only the bestest things in the world! They're so fluffy and adorible, and-" he chuckled.

"I have three at home. How about you?"

"No," I answered sadly, "I used to have a frog, but he got smashed." I frowned but quickly smiled again. "But I do have an owl!"

"An owl? That's different."

I paused, mentally kicking myself. Normal Muggles didn't keep owls as pets. I had two options from there: Tell him that I don't have an owl, that I was joking, or make myself not seem like a normal Muggle. Wait a minute, I wasn't a normal Muggle. I also didn't want to look like a liar.

"Yeah, it was a gift. He's a tawney, but I have a friend keeping him for me right now."

"Oh, how come?"

"I just moved here. My flat doesn't allow pets."

"So, you're a noob around here, eh?"

"A what?"

"A noob. Newbie. New in town." He explained.

"Oh," I blushed a bit, making my freckles stand out. "Yeah."

"Excuse me. Are you just going to talk or are you going to pick out a song?" A beasley brunette with a nose ring spoke up behind me.

"Oh, erm, yeah. I need a song."

"How's 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' by Rod Stewart?"

"Yes, sure." I started to walk away, but turned back around. "Hey, I don't think I got your name."

"Ashley," He shouted back, "Ashley Carter. You?"

"Sarah Beth Cumberland."

I had to stand in a line to wait for my turn to sing. When it was my turn, I stepped onto the tage and took the microphone the last person had thrusted into my hand. The music started.

At the foor of the stage a few guys were eyeing me with lust. Just for fun, I decided to give them what they wanted and shook my hips for a few beats in a sultry fashion.

"She sit's alone waiting for suggestions," I started to sing, "He's so nervous avoiding all her questions." The guys at the foot of the stage got a llittle closer. I looked away from them and loked on the other side of the stage to see Ashley absant mindedly sitting on the edge. That gave me an idea. I slithered over to him and started to seranade him.

"If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy, come on, suga, let me know!" He loked up, a little surprised. I winked at him and guestured for him to get up there with me.  He grabbed his microphone he had been using ot emxee and started singing beside me.

"Come on, honey, let's spend the night together!" We sang together.

We continued to sing, acting as if we had pationate love for each other (even though we had just meet), as if the song were about us.

"Come on, honey, tell me so!" I laughed.

"Tell me, so baby!" he finished it up. We were both laughing. The crowed cheered as we hugged.

"That was fun." He jumped off stage and then turned around to help me down.

"Yeah," I giggled, "It was."

"Hey, baby." A guy came up beside me, pushing Ashley out of the way. I reconized him as one of the men oogling over me from the foot of the stage. "That was a sexy performance. " He put his arm around my waist. I scrunched my nose; he smilled like alchohal, and tried to pull away.

"Excuse me," I protested, "but-" He put his hand over my mouth.

"It would just like tot ake you up on your offer, because you ARE sexy." He put his other hand under my tee shirt and lay it directly between my breasts.

"Hey!" Ashley tapped him on the shoulder.

"Huh?" the guy turned around. Ashley took this oppertunity to punch the guy in the face. The guy was knocked over to the ground. A moment later he rose back up, cursed under his breath, and stummbled away.

"Creep...Are you ohkay?" Ashley asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Y-yeah." I took of my jacket and layed it on his emcee table.

"Sorry about that. Sometimes jerks come in. I'll make sure he won't get in next week... Hey, ahve you seen that show?" He pointed to my shirt.

"No, actually..." I blushed, "but I've heard the music. I would love to see that show."

"Tommy is a good show." he commented, "Actually, the local theatre is doing it tomarrow night. are you going?"

"I didn't know they were doing it. I don't know much about this place."

"Well, do you want to go?" He offered.

"Are you asking me on a date?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"If you want it to be." He challanged.

"Sounds great!" I smiled.

"Awesome. I'll pick you up at 6:00 tomarrow."