Gaia Community College

Sarah Beth~

I pulled up to the Community College at about 8 o'clock that night. Along with a car and a flat, the Ministry also agreed to pay for a Muggle Education.

I parked my car in teh parking lot and paused. I had no clue what I was in for.

I adjusted the rear-view mirror and looked i it. I was starring at a woman who could either triumph that night or make a total fool of herself. Taking a deep breath, I grabbed my handbag and got out of the car. After smoothing out myteeshirt, i entered the main entrance. I was greeted by a sigh that read "Welcome to Gaia Community College" in big, block style letters.

I reached into my bag and pulled out the paper the Ministry had given me telling me what classes I had on what nights. Tonight was Algebra I. I had no clue what the heck Algebra was, but I liked algae and I liked bras, so it couldnt' be that bad. It was in room 89.

I walked through the blue, white, and green (the school's colors) painted halls, looking for the room. I swung the door open when I found it.

"Will not be easy-" A man standing infront of the class stopped talking and looked over at me, who was still standing in the doorway. "Yes?"

"I must be a little late." I walked in and closed the door. "This is Algae-bra i, right?"

"You mean Algebra one, and yes." Teh man replied, a little annoyed. He turned back to the class. "As I was saying-" I walked up to him.

"What exactly is-"

"Miss, will you please take your seat."

"Ohkay." I walked down a row of tables and picked a seat in the very back.

"Where was I?" The man started again. "Oh, yes. This class will not be easy. Every single one of you will have to work to pass. A passing grade will not just be handed to you." He cleared his throat. "With that being said, everyone take out your books and-"

"Excuse me," I raised my hand. He looked over, agitated.

"Yes?"

"I wasn't aware that we needed books-"

"You are responisble for your own materials." He stated flatly.

"Yes, but where-"

"You are responsible for your own materials." He restated. At this point, everyone in the class looked back at me. I blushed and slid down in my seat.

"Ohkay."

"As I was saying, everyone take out their books and turn to Chapter 2. I assume everyone here at least knows the basics of Algebra-" My hand flew up again. He sighed.

"Yes?"

"Yeah, I don't even know what Algae-bra is, so how am I suppose to do any of this?"

"I guess you will just have to figure that out on your own."

"Can I atleast have an example?" He sighed again and turned to the white board behind him. With a black marker, he wrote:

a+4=7

c-5+8=-9

a+c=

He turned back around.

"Does this satisfy you?" I starred at him blankly. So this was a math class...But why were there letters and numbers together? Letters were for reading. Numbers were for adding and subtracting (and sometimes even dividing or multiplying), but why were they together?

"Not really. How does this work?"

"You can not be serious." He capped the marker.

"I am." He rubbed his temples.

"Listen, Ms." He paused.

"Cumberland."

"Ms. Cumberland. If you do not understand the basis, you till not be able to attend this class. I'm afraid I must ask you to leaveand come back when you can at least do simple Algebra."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I'm asking you to leave. Come back when you understand what any of this is about...and when you have acquired a book."

"Oh..." I frowned. "Ohkay. I'll just...leave." I gathered my handbag and got up. "Bye..." I bolted out of the class room and quickly zipped thorugh the hallway to my car.

Once I slammed the door, I layed my head on top of the steering wheel, pitying meself. taht was terrible! I had absolutly no clue what I was doing. I had made an utter fool of myself! Not only that, but the teacher had treated my like an inferior.

Pushing my hair out of my face, I put the keys in the ignition and backed up, nearly taking out a coupe that were holding hands and walking through the parking lot.

"Sorry!" I shouted, but they just scowled and retreated to what I assumed was one of their vehicles.

I went straight home, hungry and deppressed. When I entered the appartment building, Madge was sitting at her desk.

"Some one came to visit you." She blew out a puff of smoke.

"Oh?" I asked, barley paying attention to what she had said.

"Yeah. It was your lover."

"That's nice." I didn't even turn back. I went straight up the stairs and opened the door. After turning the key, I opened the door and stepped in.

Crunch!

I stepped on something. Looking down, I saw that it was a piece of paper. I looked it over and smiled. It read:

Hey, sorry about yesterday night. Wanna try again tomarrow at about 6:30? I'll pick you up. ~Ashley C.