Sarah Beth's Lullabye

Ashley~

"I really hate that guy..." Jeff said. He was sitting in his bean bag chair, texting a girl.

"I really hate this dungeon." Paige replied. He continued to battle Dark Link on my Nintendo 64. Ocarina of Time was one of my favorite games in the world. While we were all pretty good at it, Paige was a beast at it. Since no one likes the Water Temple, Paige makes quicker work of it than anyone. Cal, who usually took part, was out with his wife.

"Why don't you just use the Biggoron Sword or Din's Fire?" Jeff said in return. "Dark Link isn't that important right now..."

"It's cheap. And I always prove myself against this bloke."

"Oh, please..."

"Always..."

There was a loud knock on the door. I ran to answer it. it was Sarah Beth. "Hey there!"

"Hi! I-"

"YES! WOO HOO! Take that! You are mine now!"

"What is going on?"

"Oh. Paige is playing Zelda."

"Oh! Maybe I should come back later..."

"What? Why? Come on in."

"Not if I have to watch Paige... you know..."

"Huh? OH! No, Zelda is a video game!"

"A video game... Okay." She walked into the other room as I shut the front door.

"Whoa! What is that thing?" I could hear Sarah Beth cry in disbelief.

"That, my friend..." Paige began. "Is a vortex. I have to be careful or I will have to start this room over. it is quite annoying, really.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed sodas as Sarah Beth watched Paige make it through the vortex room and others before he made it to the boss. She was sitting cross-legged in the floor.

"And what is-"

"Morpha: The Giant Giant Aquatic Amoeba! It attacks by hurling you across the room, dealing generous damage. Also, contact with its nucleus deals slight damage. I shall defeat it by hitting the tentacle with the longshot. Then I slash away. Repeat until dead." He narrated the whole battle and gave me the controller. "Do the Well, part, and then Jeff can get the Shadow Temple." I looked at Sarah beth, who was puzzled due to the explanation full of things she did not understand.

"So, you have a fun drive home?" I said as I played, trying to spark a conversation.

"Oh." Sarah Beth said. "Well, my car was towed..."

"What?! We have to get it!"

"It's pretty late. And we don't have to work tomorrow." she yawned. "I'm pretty tired..."

"Okay." I thought for a moment. "How did you get here?"

"Oh... I... hitchhiked."

"I'm really sorry. If I had known, I'd have-"

"It's fine, really."

"Alright..." I pressed the button to play the ocarina.

"Whoa!" Sarah Beth looked shocked. "I know what that is!"

"Well, a lot of people do." Jeff said.

"I have one." Sarah Beth smiled giddily.

"Oh? Well, a lot of people don't! That's awesome!"

"Do you play it on there?"

"Yeah." I said. "Watch."

She watched as I played the Song of Storms. The windmill in the Kakariko Village turned violently, and the well ran dry.

"Wow. My ocarina doesn't do that..."

"That's because yours isn't magic!" I laughed. "That ocarina, the Ocarina of Time, is magic. Cool, right?"

"Yeah." Sarah Beth didn't seem as impressed with it as I had thought.

"Beyond cool!" Paige announced. "That song can create the oasis in the Desert Colossus and summon Big Fairies from Gossip Stones. That isn't even the best song."

"Well..." I made my way through the Well and came to a Triforce symbol. "If you liked that song, you'll love this!" I played Zelda's Lullaby. I turned to look at her, and I smiled as she was obviously moved by the tune. She closed her eyes and grinned.

"That song was so pretty... Play it one more time." She sat up on the couch where Jeff was.

I played the song once more and turned. I was amazed to see that Sarah Beth had actually fallen asleep! The others looked shocked as well.

"Ashley," Jeff said. "It seems that your girlfriend has fallen asleep on my shoulder. You may commence jealousy."

"Oh my God." Paige hyperventilated. "Maybe this chick's Zelda reincarnated!"

"Jeff, get up. Paige, get real. Sarah Beth isn't even Hylian." I laughed. "It's all magic... you know. If only it were real."

"I could make it so I could have many wives without being frowned upon." Jeff got up. Sarah Beth's head fell onto the couch cushion. We all laughed at his antics.

---

The next morning, I was wearing my yellow apron with a Federation badge. I was cooking bacon over a hot stove. Sarah Beth, groggy from sleep, walked in and rubbed her eyes.

"I fell asleep."

"Oh." I smirked. "I had no idea."

"Can you drive me back home?"

"Sure." I put two pieces of bacon on a plate with scrambled eggs. "Have some breakfast first."

We ate our food and got into the car. We had small talk the whole way to Bullet Street. I walked in with her to the flat. Madge was smoking her usual cigar and playing Solitaire on her computer.

The woman wolf whistled. "Well, well, well... If it isn't Mister Bond and Miss Galore. Messy hair and same clothes is a sure sign that you had some fun!" The woman laughed and Sarah Beth blushed nervously.

"Bye, Ashley." She kissed my cheek. "I'll see you after I call the towing people."

"Okay. Bye." I watched as she ran up the stairs and disappeared.

"I have some more cigars," Madge coughed. "If you like..."