Wait. What?

"Ashley Carter? What are you doing here? Where is Sarah Beth?"

I looked up from the Daily Prophet and saw Luna Scamander standing next to my table in Isidor's Ice Cream Parlor in Diagon Alley. She wore a pink button-up shirt with a blue skirt. Her shirt had a bronze pin containing a swirly W and wings.

"Oh, hello, Luna! Sarah Beth went to visit someone. She said she would be back in five minutes... twenty-seven and a half minutes ago."

Luna giggled. "Sounds like her. I think I'm going to get a snack. I missed my breakfast this morning, and the Choco-Loco ice cream is delicious..."

I was waiting on a Pumpkin Pasty sundae. It would be nice to have some company. "You look very nice today, Luna."

She looked down. "Oh, I'll look even better once the baby's born. Should be a month from now, the healers are saying. Can't wait!"

She told the waitress what she wanted to eat before she carefully sat down.

She noticed me examining the pin. "Oh, Ashley! I shan't stay far too long, now. I have to go to a meeting in half an hour."

"What kind of meeting?"

"I'm a Wanderer!" She said proudly. "It's a centuries-old order of witches and wizards who have devoted their lives to exploring new places and discovering new creatures. It is rather exciting."

"Sounds like it is. Is your father in it?"

"Heavens, no. He's a writer, and he has more of a knack for, erm, fiction."

I remembered reading some of his work.

"Anyway, Rolf had to accompany a group of Ministry members to Madagascar. I've never been to a meeting without him, but I get to show the council a presentation about some of our research in Siberia! With hope, Rolf and I may receive nominations to be part of the head council next year! He's really hoping we can, because his grandfather was Grand Councilman when he was alive. It's his dream."

"Well, I hope it happens! You're working very hard through this, what with the kid coming and all."

"Oh, this kid? It's easy! Try defending yourself against a wild Kleshing with your wand lost in the snow. It's nasty work."

...

I smiled and nodded anyway.

Our orders arrived, and Luna smiled wide while she ate hers. "So... you and Sarah Beth are getting married soon..."

"Yeah." I sighed, deciding not to say anything about the lawsuit. I didn't need to stress her out. I just ate more of the pumpkin pie-like sundae.

"It's about time. You were starting to worry me."

"Yeah, I... what?"

"Well, Sarah Beth was getting quite antsy about you taking so long. I know she told you this, but..."

Luna eyed me with realization.

"You don't know, do you?"

"Uh..."

"I shouldn't tell you this. Forget I ever said anything." She quickly shoveled a spoonful of chocolate ice cream into her mouth.

"What did Sarah Beth say to you?"

"Never mind, dear."

"Tell me, please?"

"No sir. I made her a promise, and I am not going to break it!"

I looked down, defeated. It wasn't my place to do this to poor Luna. "It's okay. I'm so-"

"She wants kids."

"Huh?"

"Preferably yours."

"I... don't understand?" I am such an idiot! I understood!

"You don't understand?!"

"I understand!"

"You do understand."

"I understand you. Loud... and clear."

Luna fowned at what she had just done.

"But why didn't she tell me?"

"She tried to!" Luna thought. "Well, no. Not really. She didn't necessarily tell you vocally, but she tried to hint at it."

"Well, that's not enough. I can't read her mind!"

"I thought you had a degree in psychology."

"...I do, don't I?"

"She got very upset when we were talking about children the last time that we met at the Golden Snitch. Remember that?"

"She did get pretty mad at me."

"She's surrounded by all sorts of people with babies of their own. Eleanor has her boys, mine's on the way, and -even though I know her far more than Sarah Beth Does- Ginny has kids. There's a lot of them, and she loves kids so much. She just wants one of her own to love. I'm sure not really knowing her Mum and Dad really affected her as a child."

It did make sense. It really, really did make sense. I can't believe I never noticed this. Maybe I never noticed it because being a father never came to my mind. Would it be something I wanted?

...

Great. This was like proposing all over again.

"Will you marry me?"

"Hey, want to have a baby?"

Okay, yeah. Proposal is actually very simple in comparison. I mean, deciding whether you want to have a son or a daughter of your own is scary stuff. It's a lot of responsibility.

I finished my ice cream whilst thinking.

"Thanks for telling me, Luna."

"Just please don't tell her I said-"

"It's fine. Here, I'll pay for your food, too."

"Okay. It's eight Galleons."

"I have... not that."

"What do you have?"

"Er, Muggle money. The Wizard money I do have is in my wallet."

"Where is your wallet?"

"With Sarah Beth."

Luna smiled, and slowly moved into a spirited laugh. I joined her in the humorous moment. "I'll just cover it, Ashley. You've been wonderful."

"I, uh, thank you. Sorry, Luna."

"I'm good. I have plenty on me! Hehe."

We finished before leaving the Parlor. We said our goodbyes, and Luna headed to a town hall-style meeting center down the street. From the far reaches of my peripheral vision, I caught Sarah Beth looking at clothing. I cought up to her while she was looking at a tiny dress.

"Oh, hi. Sorry that took so long. There was a line at the other place, and I cought this when I was coming back. Isn't this so cute, Ashley? It would look so nice on a little girl."

"Yes, yes it would."

"So, did you have any ice cream?"

I told her that I did.

She looked puzzled. "How? I have your..."

"My wallet! Yes, er, someone covered the cost for me. Luna! It was Luna. She was going to a meeting."

"Oh! The Wanderers thing! She's out and about for being about eight months pregnant, isn't she? Oh well. No stopping Luna."

"I could sure go for another with you, though!"

"Aw, that's sweet! I would love some ice cream, Ashley."

"Let's go, then."

"Yes, let's."