Pee Sticks and Baby Carrots

Sarah Beth~

"This is really messy. Who thought this was a good idea?" Rufus scrunched his nose as I handed him a freshly-urinated-on muggle pregnancy test. This was the seventh one I had taken, thirteenth if you counted the six other wizarding ones I had taken prier. I was sitting on the toilet in Rufus's small bathroom, pants around my ankles and empty gallon carton of orange juice at my feet. Rufus was standing with his back to me, putting the test on the counter, next to the others. I shook my head.

"I don't know. Muggles, I guess. Hand me the next one." I reached my hand out to him. 

"Don't you think that's enough. This will make fourteen." He reached a vial half filled with clear liquid to me. I quickly put it between my legs, and did what I needed, all most filling it to the top. I put the cork in, shook it up, and handed it to Rufus. 

"I just want to make sure." I replied, and completely finished before wiping, standing up, and pulling up my pants. "Besides, I'm finished now. Move over." I pushed him out of the way, so I could wash my hand. "So, what does-" I began but stopped when I had looked over to grab a towel to dry my hands, but instead saw the fourteen different tests, lined up in a neat line: Muggle tests to the right, Wizarding tests to the left. And all of them had the same result. 

I covered my mouth. I was looking at seven rose-red vials and seven little pink plus signs. 

"Oh, my. Oh my Merlin! I...I..." I closed my eyes tight, feeling tears coming to them. Suddenly everything made so much sense.

I knew I had been late, that's what led me to take the tests, but there were other things that now had explanations. I had been sick lately, mostly in the mornings, but also sometimes late at night. I had been so tired recently, and so, so hungry. I mean, I was usually hungry, but this had been more than usual. And hungry for strange food, at that. Just that morning I had eaten a chocolate chip bagel with garden vegetable cream cheese with a side of sauerkraut. All of which I threw up an hour later. And these cravings were very odd, since I am usually a very picky eater. 

"Sarah Beth, are you okay?" Rufus put a hand on my shoulder. I forcefully shook my head no before turning around, throwing my arms around him. I pressed my face into the nook of his shoulder, bursting into tears. "Are you upset?...Frecky?" He tried to hold me tighter, but I pulled away, shaking my head and grabbing for the toilet paper. I finally succeeded and tore off a nice sized piece, and used it to wipe the tears flowing down my face. Then, I put the toilet seat down, sat on it, and continued to cry. "Frecky?" Rufus squatted in front of me, so that we could be eye to eye. He put a hand on my knee.  

"I'm going to be a mum..." I cried, putting my hand on top of his. A smile was on my face despite the sobs. "Merlin, Rufus, I'm going to be a mum...I'm finally going to be a mummy... I'm having a baby! I've... this is all I've ever wanted, Rufus!" I laughed through my tears. "I'm going to have a family!" I stood up, and began jumping up and down. "I'm going to have a baby! I'm having a baby! A baby!" I continued to squeal until Rufus touched my hand, then grabbed it. 

"You're going to be a great Mum." Rufus smiled back at me. I grinned, let out another sob, and covered my mouth.

.................................

When the initial shock and rush of euphoria wore off, Rufus lead me to the sitting room and made me a cup of tea. I carefully sipped it, still feeling giddy and constantly smiling. He sat on the sofa beside me, drinking a cup of tea as well. 

"When are you going to tell him?" He asked me, referring to Ashley. I shifted, and put the cup down on the coffee table. 

"I'm not sure. I want to tell him as soon as possible, but I also want to make it special."