Chapter 35

Honestly, I think I have the best fans in the world. The ones who do comment and the ones who do read, I appreciate you all much more than you can ever imagine. This early chapter is to say thanks for the encouraging comments! Love you all!

And if I was to enter this story for the Watty Awards "Undiscovered Gem" categories would you guys vote? And let your friends know? I'd really appreciate it!

Enjoy this slightly twisted, sick yet dramatic chapter...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All I could make out were Lia’s muffled cries and Marie’s frantic calls to the local police station. Cody had disappeared as soon as we’d called 911 and Trenton was in a coma…fighting for his life.

“He’s brain is swelling” the doctor had informed us “And he has a risk of brain damage…or he may not make it”. Lia’s cries had increased at that point and I just held onto Blake as he rubbed circles around my hands soothingly.

Both I and Marie were to hold an assembly in school to inform them of our real identities and to let them know of the situation with Jasper. We had 4 days until his predicted attack. Marie burst in through the double doors then glancing at Lia briefly before gesturing for us to follow her. My grip tightened on Blake’s hand as Marie looked at me in worry.

“We found him…”

*

It had been a while since I had attended a funeral; it was 2 days after Cody had committed suicide. They had found him, in his room, a box of empty aspirins in his hand. The whole school gathered for the service along with his family and friends. I hastily wiped my tears as his little sister sang Amazing Grace, one of his favourite songs. Blake stood by my side wearing a black suit and tie and staring straight ahead, his eyes glassy. I had settled for a plain black gown only building the courage to attend this morning. Lia hadn’t been able to come out of her state of shock and was not permitted to come in case she jeopardised the health of the baby. Blake squeezed my hand tightly as the service came to a close and people paid their last respects.

We both walked to the casket together “I’ll miss you Cody…” it was all I could manage.

“It’s a shame, we won’t have our running back for the championships” Blake’s voice cracked and I realised it wasn’t the first time he had to do this, when he thought he lost a brother. I wrapped me arms tightly around him and we stood in a tight embrace…mourning the loss of a soul.

*

I didn’t know what he was planning. And for the first time in a long time I was scared. It was the 23rd today. It was the day that brought me to the small town of Minnesota in the first place. It was the mission I was determined to finish.

“Stop stressing, knowing Jasper he probably won’t do anything too rash” Mary Kate tried to reassure me as we lined up in the cafeteria. “Besides she added “Our parents will be here soon”

It was also the parent teacher conference for seniors right after lunch, I was looking forward to it but that was only because my parents weren’t even coming.

I brought my tray back to our table laden with a small salad. I didn’t really have much of an appetite. My eyes just darted around the hall searching for his face.

“Sugarplum” I snapped my head to Blake’s direction “Everything will be fine…well I hope”

I tried to smile “I don’t want anyone to get hurt” I gripped his hand “Especially you”