Chapter 9

"A certain someone?" Lisanna queried, deep inside relieved that the topic had changed unnoticeably. A smug look was plastered on her face, indicating that she had an idea as to what Natsu was talking about.

"Yeah," He replied. "And my parents told me that I should finish my studies first."

"You don't study." Bickslow snorted. "I think the first reason is much more believable and convincing."

Natsu gave Bickslow an icy stare. "I didn't need your opinion."

"Well before anything else..." Erza said, leaning on her table that was stacked with papers. "Are you perhaps pertaining to someone who has blond hair, brown eyes and holds the known surname Heartfilia?"

"It's confidential, president. This isn't like you at all. Being nosy."

"I have a hypothesis though." Lisanna presented.

"If you know who that person is, then keep your mouth zipped."

"In denial?" Erza smirked knowingly. "Okay, I won't push." She turned serious; her glare was back. "Now. The reasons you told me were invalid. This is a school rule and—"

Natsu raised a hand to stop the president from talking. "It's just a standing violation. Even kids in kindergarten will not follow this stupid rule."

"Perhaps you're the stupid one. Are you back in kindergarten? Mr. Dragneel, we're disciplining. It may be a simple, harmless violation but if a person doesn't follow basic rules like this there's a big possibility that he or she's gonna grow up ill-mannered." Erza then smiled. Everyone knew that when she smiled—especially like this—she's got something in mind that you'll never like. Natsu and the rest of them swallowed. "However, I'm in a very good mood today so the punishment is light. It's easy."

Cross fingers.

♠♣

Lucy coughed, irritated. Not that she's trying to get attention or anything. She's still a little sick but she insisted on going to school.

Which made Levy ticked off.

"I'm close to hugging you so tight in the neck with a rope." She mumbled after sharing History class with her. "Why did you go to school?" Lucy opened her mouth to answer but Levy held up a hand. "Too dumb for asking that question, yeah? Because of Natsu, I see."

"It's not like that." Lucy arranged her books in the locker. "I had missed a lot of assignments and quizzes already. I can't afford to flunk a subject. My parents will kill me."

"Partly that's the reason. But it's more like because of Natsu. Don't even deny it."

"If you insist."

As the rest of the day went like a blur, of course there were instances when she'd cross paths with Natsu. Lucy had this longing gaze on him and Natsu on the other hand didn't notice her.

Which bugged her, by the way.

"Wow, the Invisible song perfectly suits me." She told Levy as they walked home. Levy didn't ask; she's her best friend. One look and she already knew what the problem was.

"Why don't you approach him? He isn't gonna bite you."

"Easier said than done." Lucy sighed. "Could you do it for me?"

"The what?"

"Talk to—"

"Big no." She treaded faster than Lucy. "I'm not a messenger. Or cupid. Or Saint Valentine."

Lucy sighed; her best friend's tone screamed finality. Having no choice, she quietly made her way to her house.

Hmm, attempted to.

A pink haired boy was focused on his phone, typing madly. Surely, Natsu wasn't playing some kind of game because he's not a fan of it. So yeah, he's texting.

What should I do? Greet him? Wave? Smile? Oh, smile? No. That's not my thing. He'll definitely be crept out.

However, for the ninth time that day, he walked past her like she was just a useless flyer.

Or he really didn't see her because of his phone.

"Hey Natsu!"

Wrong move. What should she tell him? It'd be a little aggravating for him if she called him for nothing, or maybe even for her to just drop a hello. And saying hello to someone she liked wasn't one of her characteristics.

So Natsu stood there, staring at her expectantly. When Lucy stayed silent, Natsu chuckled. "Maybe you were expecting a welcome party. Well, hot-headed blond girl, welcome back. Now if you'll excuse me, I have something to attend to."

She didn't know if she should feel glad that he just appreciated her presence or insulted because he called her hot-headed. Either way, at least he gave her attention for a little while.

And right. He was a playboy who knew a lot about business. But what does she know and care about it anyway?

Lucy felt empty as she entered the house, opened the door to her bedroom and stared at her dark ceiling for the rest of the night.

♠♣

“Last night with Natsu. . . was awesome.”

12 noon and this is what Lucy hears. She wanted to puke just hearing that but decided against it. Food will be wasted.

“What’s the deal? You’re so quiet.” Levy said, irritated. Her best friend was off to daydream. . . or maybe not.

“I’ve made a decision.” Lucy uttered in a low voice. “One more attempt. One more attempt to show my feelings and if he doesn’t accept it, it’s over.”

Levy shrugged. “Good for you.”

Truth be told, Levy was kind of sad about Lucy’s decision. What if it did fail? Her ship won’t sail like she’d prayed so. But she thought enough was enough. Lucy has been hurt for too long. It’s time for a rest.

“Color me impressed.” Lucy had a faint smile on her face. “You didn’t object to my decision.”

“Why would I? The decision is yours. I have no right to say what’s right.” Levy bit her lip. “But Lucy. . . it wouldn’t hurt to keep trying and keep seeking for answers.” Maybe, she wanted to add but didn’t want to be pessimistic.

Lucy looked solemn as she watched the sunset beside Levy. It’s like the sun was bidding goodbye.

The blond girl heaved a sigh. “Maybe.”

________________________________________________

PLEASE. I NEED A NEW COVER. Can anyone make it? Please? TT ^ TT Message me the cover if you'll do oneee