Chapter 3

[Nobody’s POV]

Turns out my little hypothesis was correct. The night before the pinkette and the blond texted each other, and after a few more minutes of forcing it out of him, he admitted that he was Natsu Dragneel, the one and only. He told her that they should forget about the past and not be awkward again since it’s been a year, not to mention that he’s moved on already. It’s not that big of a deal, Lucy told herself and didn’t turn down his offer.

Although she agreed, she felt... something. Gloomy feeling, a cheerful one... it’s a little complicated to begin with. Trying to shake away those emotions, the blond girl curled up in her bed. She calmed herself down. “They say that I’m a tomboy, I eat like a pig and I’ve got attitude. But hey, I’m still a girl. Wish they knew that. The only reason I’m like that is because of defense. Boys right now aren’t trustworthy compared to back then.”

A light breath came out of her lungs. “Sad thing is... I think I like him.” The realization hit her like a flying brick, her face turning red and hot. “I did not just say that out loud.”

“You just did, honey.”

“Mom—”

“Go talk to him.”

♠♣

Lunch time at school.

Many people had already gone off to the school canteen but Lucy had insisted that she’d stay... with Natsu. They were alone at that empty classroom, not silent but noisy. Talking about random things, Lucy couldn’t bring herself to start talking about that topic.

Natsu kept laughing about something he himself experienced, and Lucy however just looked at him for a second. She wasn’t listening to what he was saying this whole time, anxious about her true objective.

She cleared her throat. “Natsu. I wanted to talk to you about something that’s why I called you here.” The atmosphere turned serious as Natsu kept quiet, ready to listen to the blond. “It’s about...”

“Us.” Natsu finished for her.

Lucy nodded awkwardly, biting her tongue. “Yeah. I wanted to have a proper closure—”

“Lucy, you told me that you were just playing with my feelings because you wanted me to learn my lesson. Your mission was to break my heart. The relationship wasn’t that serious for you. It’s all for Lisanna, right? She told me everything. Now, I’m fine. I’m back to my old self. So why are you saying that you wanted to have a proper closure?”

Because I like you? She didn’t have the chance to say anything. “It’s okay Lucy. I forgive you for that. I’ve moved on.”

That statement felt like she just fell on a hole. In a choked voice, Lucy mumbled, “O-Okay. I-I just thought that I sh-should apologize because what I did was real bad. Well uh, see you around.”

She expected Natsu to come after her but nothing came.

♠♣

“You know...”

“You’re feeling down.” Levy stated blankly. Lucy avoided her intense and somewhat prying gaze. “Are your grades down?” Sometimes, her friend is a little dense... probably denser than Natsu. She stifled a laugh.

“Thanks for the concern, but that’s not the case. Levy, I like Natsu.”

“I know.” Levy answered nonchalantly. “You were too dense. Your best friend knows you better than yourself. I mean wait... maybe you’re not dense, it’s just that, you were too afraid to admit it to yourself. You’re not a dude but... duuude, like what the heck, I’ve realized that a long time ago, I even told you so but you won’t believe me. Took you long enough to admit it.”