chapter 17

Autumn's POV

"Brody! I'm going to school." I called out to him.  I woke up before he did and when I did, I found him holding me close to him...and he was snoring like pig.  I managed to slip out of his arms and get ready for school, giving me time to think about my dream. It felt so real, I don't know how to describe it.  But one thing's for sure...I love Brody.  He still wasn't up by the time I was about to leave.

But then I heard a thump. "Brody? What was that?"

I heard him groan in pain. I ran to his room and found him getting up off the floor.  I looked at him. "Ughhh...I fell off the bed." He answered.  I couldn't help but laugh, I tried hiding it, but it was no use.  I looked at Brody who was now glaring at me. I finally managed to calm down my laughing.  "Done?"

I nodded my head, afraid that I might accidentally laugh if I tried to speak.  "ummmm...*cough cough* I'm going to school."  I said.

"I'll drive you."  Brody said before I could even finish my sentence.

"I can walk.  I've walked to school a thousand times before.

"NO!" He exclaimed.  I stared at him with shock. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell.  I just don't want you walking to school.  I don't want anything to happen to you again."  He explained.

"Brody, I'll be fine." I assured him.

"Please Autumn, I'd feel better knowing you got to and from school safely."  He had worry in his eyes, though he tried to cover it up.

"Is there something you're not telling Brody?" I asked suspiciously.

He looked at me, studying me. Then he finally answered. "If something happens to you, I won't be able to live with the guilt, Autumn."

I looked at him like he was crazy. "What are you talking about?"

He shook his head. "Let's just go."   I didn't move. I wanted to know what was on his mind.  "Are you coming?"

"Not until you tell me what's up with you."

"Nothing. Don't worry about it." He said exactly like it was absolutely nothing at all.

"Brody. Don't lie to me." I warned, giving him a serious stare.

He sighed in defeat. "Yes, there's something I'm not telling you, but please, it's better if you don't know."

I looked into his eyes. "Can't you at least tell me what it's about?"

"My past.  Now let's go before you're late for school." He stated pulling me out the door.

I didn't ask anymore questions.  I was actually afraid to ask anymore questions...afraid it might be something bad.  I stared out the window the whole ride to school, zoning out. I came back into reality when Brody shook me.

"Zoning out again?" He asked me...I was always sort of zoning out...not all the time. Only when I'm bored.

"Yeah. sorry.  See you later!" I said getting out of the car.

"Autumn! I'm picking you up after school to ok?"

"Ok." I said and waved goodbye, heading up the stairs and into school.  Brody didn't drive away until got inside. What is up with him? I really want to know!

Brody's POV

I stayed there until Autumn was safely inside school.  I couldn't let anything happen to her...I  couldn't let my past get to her.  I decided to go get some coffee at the diner, since Autumn didn't wake me up for breakfast.  The diner was only 10 minutes away from here, so I could still have breakfast, go back home and get ready for work, and then show up at work on time.  I parked my car in the first available spot I saw and walked into the diner.  IT had a 50's theme which I really enjoyed.  But something caught my eye.  A tattoo.   The same tattoo on my back shoulder.