chapter 15

So I went out for coffee with Zac.  I learned a lot about Zac. He was 19 years old, attended NYU, but was home for Thanksgiving break, his birthday is the day before Christmas, he loves to play soccer, he prefer dogs over cats though he likes them both, and he want to start his own business.  He and his brother were supposed to start the business together, which made me kinda sad.  They were going to start a hotel business and build it up to an empire.

Zac's brother's name was Trent.  He was 22 and had just graduated from NYU.  Trent was a lot like Zac.  They shared the same interests...I mean they were brothers...they had to.  Trent was extremely close to Brody.  Zac is too, but not as much.  Trent and Brody were like brothers...they did everything together.  I wonder why Brody never mentioned this.  I mean, shouldn't Brody be grieving...they sounded really close. 

"Zac? Are you sure this is the same Brody we're talking about?  He never mentioned any of this to me and he doesn't even seem effected by this."  I said, confused.

"Oh I'm sure.  And Brody's just like that.  He doesn't like to show his emotions, especially to a girl he's completely in love with."

"But..." I didn't know what else to say.

"Autumn, Brody likes to act like the tough guy, but on the inside he's torn apart. He's  just a big baby at heart.  He probably didn't tell you because he'll cry if someone even mentions the name Trent.  Last night I brought up the subject and he just started cryin' and all that other girly stuff.  He misses Trent so much.  Losing you will just put him in more pain.  Now I'm not saying to go back to him because you feel sorry for him...I'm just telling you this so you know.  But you SHOULD go back to him if you love him. "

I nodded, thinking about things.  "Should....should I tell Brody I know?"

"You should do what you think is right.  If you think telling Brody is the right thing to do, then I say go for it."

I sighed. "I was kind of hoping for a more direct answer."

"Well, sometimes you don't get what you hope for...it's life. Plain and simple."  He looked at watch. "Oh, I'm really sorry Autumn, but I've gotta go.  I need to be somewhere."

"Well, it was nice meeting you Zac"  I said giving him a hug.

"It was nice meeting you too.  Brody's one lucky guy...or unlucky...Are you gonna get back together with him?"

"Yeah. I think so."  I answered sincerely.

"Then Brody's one lucky guy.  To have a girl as forgiving as you is every man's dream." He said looking out into space, acting like he was daydreaming.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, every man's dream to have a girl that messed up, up here." I said pointing to my head.

"Hey, you're not messed up.  You're just going through a tough time right now. You're confused and full of questions.  Just give it time, Autumn. Everything will fall into place."

I nodded.

"Do you need a ride somewhere?  I'd hate to make you walk."

"Is Brody's apartment on your way to that place you needed to be?" I asked.

"It actually is. Come on.  My car's just down here."

I followed him 2 blocks.  He stopped and opened the door to a black Honda Civic. "This is your car?" I asked amazed.

"Yeah. Why? Jealous?"

"Yeah.  This is my dream car." I said running my fingers over it.

Zac chuckled.  "Get in.  You'll get even more jealous."

I looked up at him with wonder.  I got in and he closed the door.  He then got in on the driver's side and turned the key.  Blue lights lit up under my feet.

"Wow...That's cool." I said staring at the lights.

"You think that's cool...watch this."  He started driving and it was the smoothest ride ever!  That is, until he turned a sharp corner without slowing down.  We drifted, flawlessly onto the next street.

"Hell YES!!!!!!!   I absolutely love your car!"

"Hahaha maybe Brody will let you drive his car sometime."

"His car?  I thought he used his police car."  I asked confused.

"He does, but he also has a car just like this one...only silver.  He doesn't drive it often."

"Silver isn't as cool as black.  Why doesn't he drive it? If I had a car like this, I would drive it everywhere all the time"

"Oh, Brody used to drive it all the time until that day..." He trailed off.

"Until what day?" I asked pushing him to continue.

"Nevermind. I shouldn't have said anything.  It's not for me to tell."

"Did something bad happen?"

"No.  Just...you have to let Brody tell you...but let him tell you when he's ready."

We stayed silent for the rest of the time.  I was thinking of all the possibilities of what happened. Nothing I thought of seemed like something Brody would do...street racer? No.  Drug dealer? No...he's a cop!  What happened?

Zac pulled into the parking lot of the apartment building.  I thanked Zac and got out.  Zac also got out. I looked at him.  "I thought you had somewhere to be."

"I do.  I was supposed to meet Brody here."

"Oohhh. So Brody's apartment wasn't on the way...It was where you were going." I stated.

"Yep.  Let's go find Brody."

We walked into the building and took the elevator up to the third floor.We stopped in front of Brody's apartment and I got my keys out.  I unlocked the door and went in, finding Brody in his sweatpants with no shirt on, watching tv....more specifically, the show Cops.

Brody's eyes shot up when I stepped in.  He leaped off the couch and ran to me, embracing me in  a hug.  "Autumn, I'm so glad you came home. I promise never to hurt you again... I love you."  He hugged me tighter but let go of me and looked past me.  "Zac?  When did you get here?"

"When Autumn got here...I drove he home."

"You what?  Autumn, how do you know him?" He asked looking into my eyes.

"I met him when he came to my family's graves to place flowers.  Brody, you didn't tell me it was your cousin in that other car."

Tears started forming in his eyes. "Let's all sit down and talk about this. I promise to tell you everything you want to know."