chapter 8

"Brody, where are you taking me?" I  asked him. We've been in his police car for about 4 hours now and it was already dark.

"I keep telling you we'll be there soon."

"You said that 2 hours ago" I whined.

"It'll be worth the wait. I promise."

"It better be." I mumbled.

Brody must've heard me becuase he snickered right after I said that.  I rested me head against the window and closed my eyes.  I drifted off to sleep.

"Autumn. Autumn wake up." I heard Brody whisper in my ear.  I opened my eyes and saw we weren't in the car anymore.  He was carrying me and we were outside.  I rubbed my eyes and looked up at him. Brody was smiling. 

"How long was I asleep?" I asked sleepily.

"A little more than an hour.  But aren't you gonna ask me what the surprise is?"

"What's the surprise?"

"Look"  He said motioning me to look to my right.

I looked and saw thee most beautiful sight ever.  We were on a cliif overlooking a lake with the stars lighting up the night sky. 

"Wow. It's beautiful." I said in amazement.

"Yes, you are." Brody said.

I looked up at him and smiled. "Exactly where are we?"

"Connecticut.  My sister and her husband own this. Their house is just over there."

I looked to where he nodded his head and saw a gigantic house...no...mansion. It was 3 stories high, brown siding to blend in with the woods, and was just amazing.  I don't know how else to describe it.

"THAT"S your sister's house?" I asked in dibelief.

"Mhm.  And she's dying to meet you. Want to stay here a little longer and then go back to the house?"

"Sure.  And you can put me down now." I stated.

"Mmmmmm...." He thought. "No."

"Why not?"

"I like having you in my arms"

I tilted his head down and kissed me gently. I tangled my fingers in his hair and kissed him back.  Remembering something, I pulled away.

"What's wrong?" He said breathlessly.

"I thought that the last time you kissed me was a mistake." I said in a sad voice.

"Kissing you was far from being a mistake.  Saying it was a mistake, WAS the mistake. I just didn't realize it until after I said it."