chapter 2

My phone alarm clock woke me up.  It was 6:30 am.  Then, I remembered everything that happened yesterday.  The car accident, the police officers, the hospital, and seeing my family all unconscious in critical condition.  Tears started forming in my eyes, but I managed to hold them back.  I did what I always did to get ready for school.  Showered, got dressed, did my hair and make up, and ate breakfast.  Usually my Mom makes me breakfast and we all eat as a family before I go to school, but today I was alone.  It was different and sad. It was too quiet for my liking.

I finished eating, grabbed my backpack, and headed to the bus stop at the corner of my street.  I stood there for 5 minutes until that yellow school bus pulled to a stop in front of me.  I got on and sat in the last available empty seat.  I wasn't friends with anyone on my bus...in fact no one on my bus ever talked to eachother.  We did when we were little, but I guess people change.  THe bus haulted to a stop and we were suddenly in front of Shady Creek High School.  It was a big school with nearly 3,000 students.  Classrooms had roughly 30 students each...I guess you can say it was over-crowded.  I stopped by my locker to get my books for the first half of the day...I stop by my locker before lunch to get my books for the second half of the day.  My first class was study hall with Mrs. Lively...which is kinda ironic because she was an old, frail lady who could barely remember anything and was very strict. I zoned out for most of the class, thinking about the worst possible scenerio...My family all dying and me being left alone in this cold, cruel world.

My next class was chemistry with Mrs. Crowley.  I couldn't focus. I kept on thinking about my family and how they were doing. I couldn't help it.  The most I got out of the class was that empirical formulas are the simplest ratio of molecular formulas.

My third period class was English with Mr. Jones. We were reading The Crucible and he chose people to play the characters in the play.  Luckily, I wasn't one of the characters.  I managed to finally get my mind off of the accident, and enjoy the play.  My classmates were acting it out and it was really funny to watch, because they over-exaggerate how the lines are supposed to be said.

But then, the classroom door opened and someone knocked 3 times. Everyone's eyes went to the door.  My happy, laughing expression fell when I saw it was Lt. Taylor, who's eyes immediatly went to me with a sorry look.

"I'm sorry to interrupt the class, but I need to speak with Autumn Reynolds." He told Mr. Jones.

"Ummm...is this important? Because we're in the middle of an important subject in class.  You see, we're reading The Crucible it's very important that she stays and reads with us.  Every detail of this play is crucial to the curriculum."  Mr. Jones replied.

"I'm afraid it's very important, sir."

"Well, it will have to wait until the end of class."

"Sir, I really need to speak with Autumn.  It's ve-" Lt. Taylor was cut off.

"I don't care if someone died! She needs to stay here and con-" Mr. Jones was cut off by Lt. Taylor.

"Well SOMEONE didn't die. HER ENTIRE FAMILY DIED!" Lt. Taylor yelled in frustration.  Everyone, including Mr. Jones, gasped.  Tears started streaming down my face. I hadn't realized I stood up because I was staring at Lt. Taylor, hoping I just imagined what he just said.   "Autumn, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to tell you like...this."

I cried even more and covered my moth with my hands, trying to muffle the sobs.  "No."  I cried. "YOU SAID THEY WOULD BE ALRIGHT!" I shouted at him. "You said they would be fine!"

Lt. Taylor's eys became glossy. "I'm sorry, Autumn.  Your mother and father died at the same time...holding hands. The nurses described it as two soulmates dying together.  Your sister died about an hour after.  There was nothing they could do. I really am sorry."

I cried even harder and ran past Lt. Taylor, out the door.  "Autumn!" He called after me.  I ran down the hallway and was almost to the common area of that floor, when I heard footsteps running behind me, and finally caught up to me.  Lt. Taylor caught me before I could run any further. He grabbed my hands and pulled my into a hug.  I didn't resist.  A nice, warm hug was something I needed right now.  I buried my head into his chest and cried.  "Shhh...It's gonna be ok." He cooed. But it made me cry even more. Nothing was going to be ok. I had nobody.  I couldn't hold my own weight anymore and my legs gave out.  I collapsed slowly and Lt. Taylor same down with me, still hugging me.  He rubbed my back gently, while I soaked his uniform with tears.

The bell indicating that 3rd period was over rang and students began flooding the hallways.  Me and Lt. Taylor were sitting in the middle of the hallway, so people walked around us and wondered why I was crying.  One of my friends, Lindsey, came and kneeled down beside us.  "Autumn, what wrong?"

I just cried. I couldn't speak even if I tried...I was crying too much.

"I don't think she wants to talk to anyone right now." He told Lindsey.

"Alright." Lindsey said with a worried tone in her voice. "Call me later Autumn."  And then she got up and left.  Soon the bell for everyone to be in class rang and the hallways were empty again.

"Autumn, I need to take you down to the hospital so you can identify your family.  I know this probably isn't the best time, but it needs to be done.  And then we're gonna figure out who's gonna take care of you. Alright?"

I nodded my head and pulled away from Lt. Taylor.  He got up first and then he helped my up.  He wrapped one arm around my waist and held me close, leading me out the school over to his police car.  Officer Williams wasn't with him, and i was glad for that because Officer Williams was just plain rude and inconsiderate.   Lt. Taylor opened the passenger side of his police car and I got in.  Then he walked arounf the front of the car and got in on his side, next to me.  I leaned my head against the window, tears still flowing down from my eyes.