chapter 3

Lt. Taylor and I were now in the morgue of the hospital...which was the basement to be exact. A nurse came in and opened 3 drawers containing bodies. She lifted up the white sheets and pulled it down to reveal the bodies' faces. I looked away when she did that and buried my head in LT. Taylor's chest. He was holding on to me closely.

"Autumn, just take a look at them. It'll only take 5 seconds, then we can leave. Ok?" He whispered softly to me.

I slowly lifted my head and turned back to face the bodies. I walked slowly towards them. /they were indeed my parents and sister. I gagged when I saw their pale white faces...motionless and unlively. I ran out of the morgue and into the bathroom and threw up in the closest stall. I heard someone come in after me. IT was loud heavy footsteps. Then someone came into the stall I was in and held my hair back.

"I'm sorry." Lt. Taylor said with sorrow in his voice.

I fllsuhed the toilet and leaned my back against the wall and cried, with Lt Taylor gently stroking my hair.

"Lt Taylor?"

"Call me Brody." He corrected.

"Brody, what am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go?" I asked in a shaky voice.

"Well...I'll help you with the funeral and to get everything in order. As to where you're supposed to go, I honsetly don't know. If they can find a relative of yours then possibly you'd go live with them. But if not, you'll most likely be put into foster care until you're 18."

"So either way, I'll have to move away from all my friends, and my family's graves...everything I've ever loved" I stated starting to control my sobs.

Brody gave me a sorry look. "Yeah." He whispered.

I stood up and Brody stood up with me. He led me out of the bathroom and the nurse cornered me with papers I needed to sign and fill out. When we were finished she told me that I have 24 hours to make peparations to move the bodies somewhere else.

Brody took me down to the police station so they could find someplace for me to live. Brody went to start making my family's funeral preparations. He said he would make it a very special funeral and that I wouldn't have to do anything if I thought I couldn't handle it. Another police officer watched over me, while another called child services. Apparently child services would be down at th station nin an hour...or at least that's what I overheard.

I sat in silence for an hour staring off in space. A hand touched my shoulder and I jumped in fright. I looked back and it was Brody and a middleaged woman behind him.

"Sorry I startled you. This is Mrs. Hoffman from child services. She's gonna arrange a place for you to live." He stated.

Mrs. Hoffman stuck her hand out and I did the same, slowly and cautious, and shook her hand. "Nice to meet you Autumn." She said keeping a serious face. She sat down across fromme and Brody sat next me and patted my back. "Alright, down to business. Autumn, it seems you have no living relatives...not even any cousins or 2nd cousins or any other kind of cousins. I'm going to have to put you in foster care. I found a family in California willing to take you in."

"California?!" I practically screamed. "That's 3,000 miles away from here! You expect me to move from New York to California like I'm nothing?! Everything I love is here. I'm not going to California!" I cried.

"Autumn." Mrs. Hoffman said sternly. "It's NOT your decision where you live."

"Uh Mrs. Hoffman. May I speak to you alone?" Brody asked.

"Mhm. " She replied.

Brody got up and led Mrs. Hoffman into a room. I laid back in my chair, thinking of how it only took a couple of hours to turn my whole life upside down.

Soon, Mrs. Hoffman and Brody came out of the room. They shook hands and Mrs. Hoffman left. I gave Brody a confused look, but he just smiled. He walked over to me and said. "Let's go."

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Home."

"What do you mean?" I asked, not understanding anything he was saying to me. He pulled out some papers from his pocket and handed them to me. I read it over and it basically stated that my foster home was with Brody. "So this means, I get to stay here, with you?"

"Yep. Is that bad?"

I shook my head and grinned ear to ear. I jumped to hug Brody tightly. He hugged me back. "Thank you so much Brody."