Chapter 36 - Never Let Go

~ ~ Chapter Thirty Six ~ ~

My stomach was gurgling loudly as it demanded food, since I can't actually remember the last time I ate or what it even was. I know I sculled down a few energy drinks late afternoon, but seeing as it is nearing six o'clock in the morning, they would have worn off by now.

Conner flat out refused to get back in my car so I could go in search of the closest store that was opened and offered anything at all to eat, I wasn’t fussy right now. Even though my car is a little beat up and sure to catch the eye of any cop driving past, but that was the least of my concerns in this moment since I felt like I was ready to pass out from starvation.

I was tempted to pull a gun to the kids head to force his arse into my car, but he has been through more than enough in one day and I didn't exactly want him fearing me more than he already does. Even though he did seem to lighten up to me a bit, before those wankers rammed into the back of us in their extremely poor and shameful attempt to kill us both.

Where the hell did Blaze call those losers from? I’m surprised they even knew how to pull a bloody trigger, let alone drive a car.

The sound of screeching tyres alerted myself to the presence of one of the others - Mia no doubt, since she likes to constantly drive as if she is being chased. As my eyes watched the road, her car came into sight seconds later, flying around the corner and if she didn’t have fat tyres on, she definitely would have gone up on two wheels just then.

Dust and a shower of small rocks flew up over where I was standing as she came to a sliding stop in front of me. The wheels of her car digging into the dry and dusty ground before her engine was shut off, and Mia jumped out through the drivers door, pulling a disgusted face as her eyes looked over the building before she turned to face me.

"Really? I'm rich Leila, and you keep making me live like a homeless person," she muttered and I smirked slightly.

The sun had already started rising for the day. So her face was lit up semi clearly and I could see the annoyance in her eyes as she looked away from me to the building once more, "I tolerated the last one," she mumbled again, walking around the back end of her car and towards where I stood, leaning against the hood of my vehicle.

"You call complaining every chance you got 'tolerating'?" I asked, unsure of what her stands of toleration are.

Mia's eyes narrowed slightly, in a challenging way, "I did not complain."

Letting out a loud yawn that almost brought tears to my eyes, my stomach gurgled loudly again and even Mia raised an eyebrow before walking the few steps back over to her car. Reaching in through her open passengers’ window, she rustled something around for a moment and then tossed a bag or corn chips in my direction.

They hit my chest and almost fell to the ground, but I had caught them in time, "Cheers," I smiled a little as I opened them up and started stuffing my mouth full.

"Isn't Eddie here yet?" she asked with slight interest and I shook my head and she finally noticed Conner's presence over on the cement steps out the front of the double doors of the building. Frowning as she stared at him for a few seconds, she turned her attention back to me, "Why does he look shaken up?" she smirked, "Did you bully him?"

Rolling my eyes as I swallowed my mouth full and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, I shook my head, "No, I've already had the pleasure of experiencing Blaze's reinforcements and his own nephew just happened to be in the car with me - he actually helped me a bit as well."