Chapter 34 - Never Let Go

~ ~ Chapter Thirty Four ~ ~

Flying down the northern freeway as cars quickly clicked their indicators on and pulled off to the side of the road and out of my way, I grinned like a maniac. Well, to be truthful, I probably am a manic. I did just steal an ambulance, pose as a paramedic and steal a patient.

I'm pretty sure that classifies as a manic.

“You’re loving this, aren’t you?” Mia dryly asked from the passenger seat and I spared her a quick glance before my eyes went back to the road ahead of us.

“Naturally,” I smirked, who wouldn’t? Cars are literally slamming off to the side to get out of my way – yes, it’s only because I have sirens going and pretending that I’m in a rush to go rescue some poor souls life, but still, this is awesome.

“Leila?” Baden spoke up from the back, he decided he was coming along – like I had presumed, and I didn’t have time to argue with him about it.

“Yes?”

“Who is this kid?” he asked in a sly tone, like he already knew the answer.

Shifting uncomfortable in my seat, I hesitated before answering, “Um, no one,” I lied, and shockingly too.

“I see,” he mumbled, “So I'm guessing that it’s a coincident he shares the same last name with Blaze?” He looked up and met my gaze through the rear vision mirror; I gulped visibly and looked away.

“Blaze? Who’s Blaze?” I faked stupidity and clicked my indicator on to switch to the far lane so I would make my turn in time. These things have cool gadgets and sirens, but they suck for fast and sharp turning.

“Oh..,” he trailed off as he looked down at Conner before looking up at me again, “The guy who wants you dead for some reason.”

Laughing tightly, “Oh, look at that! A flying donkey!” I called out and pointed off into the far distance.

Mia frowned as she looked at me, “What the hell is wrong with you? Are you seriously that stupid?” she snapped and I smiled a little.

I don’t know why, but I’m really nervous with Baden in the back and I also don’t want to really tell him about everything that I have been up to recently – so this is causing me to act like a crushing school girl and say stupid things.

“Shut up Mia,” I muttered just loud enough for her to hear.

“You’re the one acting like a tool,” she muttered back and I scowled at her for a moment.

“Is that your final answer?” Baden interrupted us from behind and I glanced up at the rear vision mirror.

“Shush back there, I'm driving,” I scolded in a serious tone and concentrated once again on the road.

Mia turned around in her seat and stared back at him with an annoyed look, “Feel free to jump out at any time, and don’t be afraid to holler if you need a push start either.”

I would have laughed, but she was being serious. “Mia,” I hissed, telling her off while placing my foot down slowly on the brake to make this turn smoothly.

“Just saying,” she shrugged as she sat back in her seat, “A guy who hits a girl isn’t worth the air he wastes if you ask me.”

“Good thing no one asked you then,” Baden growled from the back and I groaned internally. It was good to have him back and not just in the physical way, but emotionally too, he seemed to be sounding like his old self and I know how worried the others were about his sanity.