Chapter 9 - Never Let Go

~ ~ Chapter Nine ~ ~

“So, um.....” I trailed off, not knowing how to actually word it all politely since I didn’t want to anger the strange man sitting across the table from me.

“Yes?” he asked casually with a small smile in the corner of his mouth.

“Um, I was just wondering – not to sound rude but how do you expect to find Jeff if I can’t?” I looked up at him again for a brief moment to evaluate his face before looking down at my plate of food – some kind of steamed fish with salad. I was mostly just stirring it around my plate, not really having any trust in him to not poison me.

Leo chuckled softly and I looked back up at him to see a smirk on his face and a twinkle in his eyes, “I don't think you understand how much influence I have around here – no one can hide from me.”

Frowning a little, “But what if he doesn’t want to be found? I know him and I know he won’t be anywhere obvious.”

“Such little faith in me,” he mused, leaning back in his chair.

“I only just met you,” I pointed out, then quickly glanced back down to my plate – not knowing if he was going to take that the wrong way, not that you really could but some people are weird.

“I-,” he stared to speak but was interrupted as the doors opened up and we both turned to watch the lawyer walking right on in casually, carrying a black briefcase in his hands as he looked over at Leo.

“I’ve got the will written up, just need you to confirm everything and sign it,” then he looked over at me as he sat his briefcase down on the table and opened it up, “And you missy, the police are requesting a warrant as we speak to search your apartment-.”

“What?” I cried out in shock, “They can’t – Dougy and Phil are there.” I felt panic coursing through my veins as I jumped to my feet, pushing my chair back and glancing over at Leo, “I'm sorry but I need to go and warn them, “ I muttered as I started making my way out of the room.

“Stop right there Amberly,” Leo’s voice called out, it wasn’t angry or anything but it was commanding. Turning around slowly to look over at him, he was standing to his feet, watching me carefully, “I’ll drive you home.”

My mouth dropped open a little bit, “What?” I mumbled in confusion, this man is so confusing.

He ignored me though and looked over at the lawyer, “Put everything on hold for today, I'm going to be busy for awhile.”

The lawyer nodded, “Consider it done,” and then he quickly closed his briefcase, picked it up and walked out of the room without a glance back at us.

“Come on then.”

I jumped slightly as Leo spoke while walking towards the same door the lawyer just disappeared out of. I looked over at him, not knowing if I should trust him to actually take me home even though he hasn’t really done anything to make me think he would physically harm me but you can never tell what a person really is like by just looking at them.

I decided to at least follow him outside because maybe from the front door I might be able to roughly work out where I am – that thought was destroyed the second I stepped out shortly behind him. The front was pretty much the same view from the windows inside. Nothing but green grass with trees, hedges and statues everywhere but the front had a long white gravelled driveway which disappeared in the distance.

Leo walked over to a canary yellow car which looked pretty expensive and climbed into the driver’s seat, sliding a pair of dark sunnies on his face to cover his eyes before looking over at me expectantly.