TSD 6: New New.

Ka'Miko headed over to a shelter, keeping her head low the whole way there. She signed in, and got assigned to a room with two other girls. The room was small and rectangular, with nothing but a wooden desk, an old plastic chair and a bunk bed. They eyed her up and down before one spoke.

"You look familiar." She said.

Ka'Miko quickly shook her head 'no'. She was in the hood but she was trying her best to go unnoticed, even if it meant denying her identity the best she could.

"Well, you're gorgeous." She smiled. She was darkskin, with big box braids. She was a pretty girl with perfectly white teeth.

Ka'Miko gave her a light smile as a thank you. The girl next to her looked Spanish and once she spoke her accent showed for it.

"What's your name, mami?" She asked.

"Ka'Miko." She said so soft it was barely audible.

"You're going to have to speak up, honey." The Spanish one said again.

"Ka'Miko." She said louder this time.

"Aww, cute name. It suits you. I'm Jelena (Ya-lay-na), and this my homegirl, Darla, but everybody calls her 'Coco'."

"Nice to meet you both." She smiled a bit and set her bag down.

"How old are you?" Coco asked.

"17." Ka'Miko answered.

"Aww, you're just a baby. What are you doing here?" Jelena asked her.

"I just need a place to stay for a bit." She answered softly.

"Well duh, but everyone who comes here has a tragic story as to how they got here. For example, when I was 16 I met this guy named Carlos. He was the love of my life, but extremely controlling and abusive. So on my 19th birthday, I went out with girls and Carlos went crazy. He beat me so bad... I had enough. I came here and never looked back." Jelena explained in a reminiscent tone.

"Carlos..Mexican? Tall? Longish curly black hair?" Ka'Miko asked curiously.

"Yeah, and he's kinda chubby..light peach fuzz on his upper lip. You know him?" Jelena said, sounding a little defensive.

"No..Not really." Ka'Miko went back into shyness, and looked down as she examined her finger nails to avoid eye contact.

"Then how you know what he look like? You fucked him or something?" Jelena now stood. Her loose curly red hair flowed in her face as her brown eyes darkened with anger and jealousy.

"Jelena, chill." Coco told her, pulling her down to sit on the bottom bunk of the old wooden bed.

"No, he just hung out with a friend of mine." Ka'Miko stammered.

"Yes! That's where I know you from. I saw you know FootLocker with Pharaoh's fine ass. How you know him, you his chick or something?" Coco asked as she bounced on the bed with excitement.

"No. He's just a friend." Ka'Miko corrected. She didn't want them to recognize her any further.

"Ughh, I would fuck his brains out!" Coco giggled. Ka'Miko faked a close mouth smile.

"Uhm, I gotta go to the washroom." She lied, quickly grabbing her bag and rushing out of the shelter. The cold night air was dry and crisp. A few cars occupied the road, but not many. She pulled her holdover her head and waited for a bus and prayed the whole way that she would get help when she arrived at her destination.

"Ayo, lemme know if you see Ka'Miko." Pharaoh spoke into his phone. He never actually expected her to leave.

"She not as soft as you thought, huh?" KJ laughed. "A girl who has been through it all is never weak. She's quiet, yeah, she prolly can't fight either, but she got a strong ass mind. That's more important than a loud mouth, scrapping bitch." he pointed out.