chapter twenty-five

JOE SUGG'S POV
The sound of a flatline.

That's the last thing I heard before Zoë pulled me through the door and shut it behind us leaving Alfie and Alyssa's parents in the room. She grabbed my hand as I stared at her, unable to comprehend what had just happened.

"She can't-" I stopped and tore my gaze away from the wooden door. I could heard the screams of the doctors as they tried to bring her back to life.

"She's not dead, Joe. They're going to bring her back."

"Zoë, I was just talking and then-"

"I know, Joe. I know," she whispered softly before pulling me into a hug. Zoë ushered me down the hallway towards the waiting room and then out the hospital doors. The sunlight hit my face, blinding me as Zoë led me away from the hospital.

Tears kept falling down my face as I stared at my sister. A sob escaped my lips as I crumpled against the wall, unable to support myself. Thoughts kept racing through my head and I couldn't help but feel something that I couldn't describe.

Zoë bent down to get to my level, her face filled with concern. She closed her eyes and blew out a small breath before opening them and looking at me.

"Joe, you really love her, don't you?"

The only thing I could do was nod numbly.

"Zoë, I don't know what I'm going to do without her. I don't want her to leave me alone in the world."

"She's a strong girl, Joe. She's going to make it through this." As soon as the words escaped her mouth, we heard the sounds of Alfie's screams. Zoë suddenly looked up, craning her neck in the direction of his voice.

"ZOË? JOE?" Alfie yelled as he looked for us. Zoë cupped her hands on either side of her mouth and then shouted out to him.

"ALFIE! WE'RE HERE!"

In a matter of seconds, Alfie rounded the corner and stood a few meters away from us until Zoë motioned for him to come.

"Alfie, please tell me she's still alive," I whispered as he looked at me straight in the eye.

"Joe, she's alive. They managed to resuscitate her."

I sighed in relief, closing my eyes, grateful that she was still living. As tears streamed down my face, I kept reminding myself that she was okay. She did it. I looked up only to see that Alfie had a sad look on his face.

"Why do you have that look on your face?" I asked, crinkling my eyebrows together.

"What look?"

"You know, the 'something else is wrong but I don't want to tell vulnerable Joe' look."

"I'm pretty sure that's not an actual look..." He started but I just ignored what he said and repeated my question.

"The look. Why do you have it on your face?"

"Just before I left, the doctor was telling Ben and Cassandra about some papers. DNR papers."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zoë's eyes widen. It seemed that everyone knew what DNR meant, except for me.

"What the hell does that mean?"