chapter twenty-two

I touched the two long lines that formed on my stomach and frowned. I was self-conscious and I knew it. Even after everything that Joe said, I couldn't help but feel angry at myself. I knew that I couldn't change the past and that was something that would haunt me forever, but I wish I could've ended things sooner with Cole. If I did, none of this would've happened and I wouldn't be standing in front of a mirror looking at the two scars on my stomach.

The door suddenly opened, breaking me from my thoughts. I pushed my shirt down and looked to my left only to see that Troye was looking at me with a confused look on his face.

"What were you looking at?"

"Nothing," I said quickly, mentally cringing at how fast I said the word.

"Alyssa..." Troye said softly, placing a hand on my arm but I flinched away from his touch and walked towards my bed. He cleared his throat awkwardly and looked at the mirror beside my dresser.

"Are you excited for tonight?" He asked as I nodded. Today was New Year's Eve and it just happened to be that we were all invited to some sort of YouTube party to celebrate the end of the year.

"There's one thing, I have no idea what to wear."

"Connor!" Troye suddenly screamed, yelling out the boys name. I heard the sound of running footsteps and then all of the sudden Connor was at my door, panting.

"That's the most exercise-related thing that I have done this whole month," he groaned, before looking at Troye and I. "Anyways, what do you want?"

"One, what the hell are you talking about, you're fit as fuck and two, Alyssa here doesn't know what to wear for the party tonight."

"Are you actually asking us for fashion advice?" Connor asked as I nodded slowly. He squealed and then walked into my room and pulled Troye and I up from the bed.

"When does the party start?" I asked, looking at the time on my phone.

"It starts at 8:00, but knowing all of us, we'll probably be about fifteen minutes late so let's just say that it starts at 8:15."

"We have exactly three hours and forty five minutes to get you ready and ourselves ready," Troye tacked on, opening my closet door.

"Also if I remember correctly, Joe said he was coming here at around 7:45 so basically we have to make sure you're all ready by then." Connor said quickly, his eyes scanning through the dresses.

"I would never think that you two would be helping me in this situation. I always thought Zoë was going to be the one that was going to go crazy over what I should wear." I said, watching as they grabbed all the dresses that were in my closet.

"You and Zoë are in the same boat. Alfie's helping her, so we're here to help you." Connor informed as he passed half of his stack to me. I grabbed the hangers and then watched as he laid them across my bed.

"I appreciate all the help but what about you two?" I asked, wondering how on Earth they were going to help me and get ready themselves.

"Girl, we've been ready since this morning." Troye said, snapping his fingers sassily. Connor and I froze and looked at him, both of us cocking our heads to one side.

"Did you just do that?" I asked as Troye shrugged.

"I wanted to see how you would react."

"Please don't ever do that again." Connor said, shaking his head as he looked at me.

"Craziness aside, tell me what you're thinking."

"Um maybe blue?" I said more like a question. Connor nodded and then started grabbing ever dress that was some shade of blue. Troye looked at what was laid out on my bed, standing beside me as he pointed to various things. At each shake of my head, Connor would quickly put away the dress and then stand back beside me.