chapter twenty-seven

JOE SUGG'S POV
For once in a month and one week, I was at peace with myself. After a month of not being able to even pick up a camera, much less talk to it, I finally explained what happened the day of Alyssa's accident. I didn't go into detail about our relationship since it felt wrong to tell my viewers without her. I just referred to her as a 'really close friend'.

Nala nudged my foot as I bent down to pet her, realizing that I hadn't given her much attention since Zoë left to go meet up with Alfie and Alyssa's parents. She didn't tell me where she was going but she only asked me if I could take care of Nala while she was gone and of course I said yes. If I was being honest, I only said yes because I actually enjoyed being around the black pug

"I guess it's just you and I today," I said as I bent down and scratched the back of her ear. "At least I'm not alone on Valentine's Day."

Nala barked softly, causing me to laugh before she took off, sniffing around Percy and Pippin's cage. I watched as she grabbed something in her mouth and then trotted back to me with a black leash between her teeth. I took the leash from her mouth, and held it between my hands as I looked at the black pug in front of me.

"You wanna go for a walk, don't you Alan?"

Nala only barked in response and then nudged my foot with her muzzle, wanting to leave the comfort of the house. I let out a small laugh, grabbed my phone off of the table and then was about to walk towards the door when suddenly Nala took off in the direction of the stairs. For a moment, I stood there, absolutely confused and wondering why Nala went up the stairs. Then I realized that she probably wanted to show me something so of course, I followed her up the stairs.

I really wish I didn't.

As soon as I reached the top of the stairs, I saw Nala go into a room. Without thinking, I followed the dog, only to stop as soon as I saw where I was. Alyssa was constantly on my mind, and I had managed to push the thought of her away, until now. I looked around her room, her phone catching my eye.

The screen was completely shattered and the phone itself was scratched in various places. I remembered when Marcus had given it to me, saying that he found it lying on the street beside her just before the ambulance came. I had unlocked it only to see about ten missed calls from yours truly and I think I gave it back to him and told him to give it to Alfie and Zoë.

Clearly, he had and now it was here.

I looked back at Nala, wondering what she was doing as she trotted towards Alyssa's closet. The door was slightly open so the pug managed to slip inside and I watched as she pawed through a pile of things before she gripped something into her mouth. When she popped her head out of the closet, it looked like she was holding a large paper in between her teeth but as she approached, I realized that it was a picture. She sat down in front of me, looking up at me as if to say: Go on, take the picture.

She dropped the picture by my feet as I reached down and picked it up. As soon as I saw what the picture was of, I felt my heart drop. My mind trailed back to when it was taken and I found myself deep in thought.

"Thank you," Alyssa whispered into my ear while we swayed to a song. My hands moved down to her lower waist as I smiled and watched as she looked up at me, smiling right back.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"You're all that I dreamed about."

"Alyssa Deyes you make me blush."

"You look cute when you blush," she said softly, resting my head on my shoulder.