chapter twenty-eight

When my eyes first opened, I was terrified. The first thing that I saw wasn't the comfort of my room, nor was it Joe's smiling face, looking down at me. It was blinding white lights. Pain started to radiate through my entire body as I struggled to move, the only thing on my mind was to get out of here. I didn't what to be here. I wanted to see him.

"I'd advise you not to move," someone said from in front of me. "It'll cause you a great deal of pain."

I managed to look up--while withstanding the pain--only to see a girl standing at the foot of my bed. She was wearing a lab coat, her hair brown hair tied up into a pony tail. Her blue-grey eyes were looking at me curiously as if I was something that couldn't be explained.

"I'm Doctor Wilson. Alyssa, you're in the hospital, you got into an accident which led to you being in a coma. You're okay now and most importantly you're safe."

"What day is it?"

"It's February 14th, you've been in a coma for about a month now," she said in a calm tone, but I was already far from calm.

"You're trying to tell me that I've been in a coma for the past month?"

"The initial shock will wear off soon, as for you injuries, Doctor Anderson, our head of neurology, is currently in surgery but he'll be out as soon as he can to inform you about the extent of your injuries."

"I don't want to be here. I want to see Joe," my voice came out only as a whisper, but Dr. Wilson seemed to understand.

"He's coming soon Alyssa."

I tried to move once again, only to feel a sharp stabbing pain where my lower stomach is. I let out a soft groan and looked back up at Dr. Wilson.

"Why does it hurt so much?"

"You were in a pretty bad accident," was the only thing she said before she walked over to my bedside and fixed my pillow, fluffing it out.  "Are you comfortable?"

I nodded my head before she looked down at the clipboard in her hand. She took out a small flashlight out of her pocket and turned it on, the bright light near my hands.

"Follow the light," she said and then shined it directly at my eyes. Covering one of them, she moved the flashlight to the left and then to the right and then did the same for my other eye. We went over a few other things, and then she reached for my arm gently and pulled it out from underneath the covers. "Alyssa, can you squeeze my finger tightly?"

I reached for her finger and squeezed it as tightly as I could. I knew it right from the beginning that it wasn't tight enough from the look on her face. She asked for my other hand and when that failed, she bit her lip before looking back at me with a fake smile on her face.

"The weakness is normal for people that just came out of comas but if it becomes a problem then we may have to check that out."

"Um, okay."

"Everything is good for now. Your motor functions are normal for a person that came out of the state that you were in and your eyesight is normal. You can speak, which is a very good sign for someone that suffered that hard of a blow to the head."

"I'm glad to hear that," I said softly, not knowing what else to say.

"Before I go, Dr. Anderson told me to ask you about something."