chapter eighteen

For the first time in days, I was happy. I was happy that I could talk to Zoë and Alfie about Joe. I was practically overjoyed that Cole disappeared after that day at Nando's. But the thing that really made me happy was when I received a phone call from Joe. I was sitting on the couch, with Zoë and Alfie, chatting away, when I heard the familiar sound of my phone ringing. I picked it up curiously and looked at the name across the screen.

Joe.

"Aren't you going to pick that up?" Zoë asked as she looked down at the screen.

"I'm still deciding."

"Come on Alyssa, you two haven't talked in days! Just pick up and see what he has to say!" Alfie exclaimed from beside Zoë. Nala jumped up onto the couch and curled up beside me, as I looked at Zoë and Alfie who were both encouraging me to pick up the phone. I sighed and then grabbed my phone hastily, pressing the accept button and lifting the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Shit, I didn't think you would actually pick up," I heard this voice on the other end as he let out a low chuckle.

"Well I did."

"What are you, Zoë and Alfie up to today?"

"Nothing, why?"

"I was actually wondering if I could come round their house. Ever since Caspar left for South Africa the other day, I've been meaning to stop by." He said as I looked up at Zoë and Alfie.

"What happened?" Zoë whispered as I lowered the phone from my ear and pressed the mute button.

"Joe wants to come over."

"You can't avoid him forever," she said as I sighed.

"I agree with Zoë, he always seems to make you smile and right now I think you can let him make you happy." Alfie said as he nodded in agreement.

"You two are such bullies," I whispered as I shook my head and un-muted Joe.

"What time were you thinking?"

"Within the next two hours?"

"Okay."

"Wait before you go, can you tell Zoë to set that extra room up? I think I'm going to stay the night..."

"Don't worry Joe, I'll let her know."

"Well I'm gonna go get ready then, I'll see you soon Alyssa."

"I'll see you soon Joe," I replied and hung up the phone. I looked over at Zoë and Alfie who were both smiling widely at me.

"I hate you both."

"You'll love us as soon as he comes."

"Joe mentioned that he's staying the night and he wants you to set up that extra room," I said, looking up at her as she smirked and then looked at Alfie. I looked at the two of them completely confused before I laughed awkwardly.

"What?"

"Nothing," they said in unison, making my curiosity grow even more than it already was.