chapter thirty-four

It seemed that time was going by way too fast for my liking. It was already the middle of March and I was still torn in two. Zoë and Alfie had ended up finding out the same day that Marcus came. They were shocked at first but then just like Marcus, they understood and gave me similar advice as him.

At the end of the day, they all wanted me to tell Joe before it was too late and as much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I would prepare myself and then when I actually saw me, he would kiss me and hug me tight, before telling me how much he missed him, even if we saw each other just the day before. And each time, I would look at his smiling face and then convince myself that it just wasn't the right time or place.

In reality, I was just putting it off.

"And the video is up!" Joe's voice interrupted my thoughts. I looked up as he got up from his desk in the corner of the room, a huge smile on his face. He practically tackled me with a hug, smiling softly and kissing my cheek quickly. "I'm going to wait a few minutes before looking at the comments."

"You're excited, aren't you?" I asked as he just nodded, a smile plastered on his face. I bit my lip hesitantly before shaking the thought out of my head. I wasn't about to ruin his good mood.

"Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

"No, everything's fine. Why would you think something's wrong."

"You've just been awfully thoughtful lately."

"Everything's okay, I promise."

You always say that, so when are you actually going to tell him?

Not now, not yet.

"Am I interrupting something?" I heard a voice to my left and I managed to wriggle out of Joe's grip to turn in the direction of the sound. Caspar was standing in the doorway to Joe's room, looking at us with an amused look on his face.

"Joe's just too excited for-"

"Stop it! I am not!"

"Uh huh, whatever you say buddy," I whispered, shaking my head. Joe let go of me and proceeded to move to his desk.

"Remember that one time when I asked you to play FIFA with me?" Caspar asked, directing the question towards me. I nodded quickly, remembering that time exactly. "Do you want to have a rematch?"

"Wait a second, was it that time when I kicked your ass?"

"Shut up, I'm winning this time, Deyes."

"Try me, Lee," I drawled out his name, accepting the challenge.

"Woah, easy there," Joe said as I began to attempt to walk without my crutches. He handed them to me and while I didn't want them necessarily, I took them anyways and smiled at him in the best way I possibly could. Caspar turned around and exited the room, leaving Joe and I alone for the slightest moment. I could practically feel his hard gaze on me, which only made me even more nervous then I already felt. "I don't want you to get hurt, again."

"I'll use them, just for you," I said in a joking manner, but he narrowed his eyes at me and blew out air.

"All I'm doing is looking out for you, love," he said, almost offended.