chapter fourty-five

"Here let me take this for you," Alfie insisted as I attempted to pull my luggage down the stairs. I hesitantly gave him the bags and he groaned as he picked them up.

"What do you have in here?!" He exclaimed as he put down one of my bags and carried the other downstairs. I followed him down, watching as he practically ran downstairs and to the door.

"Oh, don't be such a baby!"

"You're gone for two weeks!"

"I want to get as much as I can out there so when I come back in two weeks it'll be much easier for me to take the rest of my things."

"Is that your way of telling me that this is just your necessities?"

"Basically."

"Remind me to never carry your bags again."

"You struggled six months ago, when I came here. Has the gym helped you in any way, shape or form?"

"I've been skipping out some of my training sessions," he admitted and rolled his eyes as I gave him a pointed look. "I know, I know, Zoë's already gave me the whole commitment speech."

"I'll be upstairs getting my carry-on bag. I'll be down in a second."

"Is this covered by Universal Music Australia?" He motioned towards my two bags.

"Yep."

"Now I understand why you're taking so many bags..." he trailed off as I let out a soft laugh and walked back up the stairs. I heard a bark to my left and when I looked in that direction, I saw Nala sitting in the middle of my room. I smiled down at the pug as she jumped up and put her paws on my knees. I sat down and rubbed her belly quickly, watching as she clawed the end of a black hoodie that wasn't mine. She whined and pawed at the bottom of my sleeve.

"It's comfortable," I admitted and watched as she tilted her head to the side. "Even if it's his, I'm not giving it back."

I sighed and stood up, walking over to my dresser to grab my bag and phone. My eyes scanned the top of my dresser and stopped at the picture that I'd been meaning to throw out but for some reason ever since last week I just didn't have the heart to. I picked it up and admired it for a moment, my eyes flitting to the picture in my hands and the trash can beside my dresser.

"There's no use in keeping it lying around," I whispered to myself and watched as it fell from my hand and landed in the empty garbage. I let out a soft breath and slung the backpack around my shoulders before grabbing my phone from the table and looking back at Nala who was now beside me. "Come along."

I exited the room with Nala trotting behind me at my heels. I walked down the stairs and saw Zoë open the door and rush inside.

"We're all set outside," Zoë ran up to me and put her hands on my shoulders as I looked around the place that had been my home for six months.

"Can you give me a second? I just want to say goodbye," I whispered softly before looking over in Nala's direction. Zoë smiled and nodded quickly.

"We'll be outside," I heard her retreating footsteps and let out a sigh. As I looked around the room, Nala let out a whine as she placed her head in between her paws, laying on the ground in front of me. I bent down and stroked the top of her head.