chapter thirty-eight

"I've lost track of how many times I've tried to call you," I let out a bitter laugh as I spoke into the phone, "but I'm hoping that one of these days, you'll pick up and we can talk. I don't know what I'm going to do, Joe, I need you to know that. I don't know if I'm leaving, and I don't know if I'm staying. All I'm saying is that we have a chance, and right now I'm choosing to believe that you and I are still together."

I paused for a moment before quickly continuing on, knowing that I only had a few more seconds before I would get cut off.

"I still love you, Joe and if you still believe in me, in us, call me back please."

I ended the call there, and looked up only to see Marcus coming down the stairs.

"Were you trying to call Joe again?" he asked carefully as I nodded and pursed my lips together. "Just give him time."

"Yeah," I whispered, my voice barely audible. Marcus sat down beside me and looked at the untouched waffles in front of me.

"Are you going to eat that?" he asked before shooting me a smug smile. I let out a soft laugh before pushing the plate towards him.

"Help yourself."

"So, what are you up to today?" he asked as he took a bite of the waffle in front of him.

"I have an appointment today," I announced to him and when he raised his eyebrow curiously, I motioned towards my leg, "for my leg."

"How are you getting there?"

"I'm driving you, aren't I?" Zoë asked as she came up behind us and placed her hand on my shoulder before giving it a soft squeeze.

"What about your meeting?"

"Alfie was the one that had his meeting today," she responded quickly. "I'm all free. What time is it again?"

"Around 1:00, so we should probably leave now."

"Okay, just let me get my stuff and we'll go in a minute," she managed to say quickly as she grabbed the other waffle from Marcus's plate. Zoë took a bite of it and I looked over only to see that Marcus was frowning as he looked at Zoë.

"I was going to eat that," he pouted before glaring at Zoë, playfully.

"I'll be ready in a few minutes," Zoë said before she walked past the two of us and back up the stairs. Marcus and I watched as she disappeared up the stairs before turning back to one another.

"Where's Troye been?" he asked me as I simply shrugged in response.

"He started his UK leg of his tour a couple of days ago."

"Doesn't he have a show in London next week?"

"He actually has two of them," I confirmed quickly before looking up at him. "I'm not sure which one we're all-"

"Alyssa, are you ready to go?" Zoë interrupted me as she walked down the stairs, with a wrist let in hand. I looked up and met her gaze before nodding quickly and getting up from the chair. When I got to the door, Zoë was looking at Marcus who had gotten up to stand as well. "Do you want to come with us?"

"Do you think you can give me a ride home afterwards?" he asked before picking up his already packed bag. Zoë simply nodded and then smiled before opening the door and holding it out for both Marcus and I. I walked out towards the car and looked over at Zoë as she held the keys to the Mini in her hand.