Chapter 36

Jade POV~

Why? Why did this idiot eat cake? He knows how bad it is for him. I especially asked Auntie to serve some vegan cookies. Will I lose him? We can't possibly move him back to New York and I can't stay here until he wakes up. I have school back in Japan. His studies will fall if his body can't get rid of the ketones and if his grades fall he will return to being average. If he returns to being average who knows what his father will do. Will he shun him again? Kick him out of the house again. It was a miracle that he let Julian visit me in Japan. But when he finds out about this... What will happen. What if it takes years to heal? Or what if he takes to long and eventually dies? What if-

Countless thoughts corrupted my mind. What ifs kept appearing out of nowhere making me even more nervous than before.

A knock sounded at the door and I went to open it. Who would be here now? It's 2 in the morning. I opened the door to reveal a familiar head of gray hair. Iori.

"Hey," he said softly.

"Hi," I managed to reply.

"How are you copeing?

"Not well."

"Tell me." He took a seat next to me on the bench.

Two words, it took two words to relax me and to open the part of me caging all of my worries.

"What do I do?" I started, looking into his hazel eyes. For some unknown reason they calmed me. "I can't live without my best friend. I could hardly survive when I moved to Japan. What am I suppose to do if he doesn't wake up?"

Narrator POV~

"Well, first you should calm down," he whispered in a voice you would use to comfort a child.

"Then what? What good will calming down do?" she frantically asked.

"Calming down will allow you to get a full grasp of the situation and allow you to figure out what's best for you," he slowly patted her head, smoothing out her hair. "Here," he extended his arm to a large bag and pulled out a hoodie, sweatpants, fuzzy socks, slippers that went up to the upper ankles, a hair brush, and a couple of hair ties. "You should and change, I'll do your hair. It will help you fall asleep," he gave her a small smile before picking her up and setting her down before walking out of the room.

A few moments after he left, she got up and looked through the bag once more. First, she took off the earings and striped out of her dress quickly, she pulled on the warm gray hoodie and sweatpants. The fabric felt amazing as it touched her cold skin. She silently thanked Iori hundreds of times as she put the socks and slippers on. Walking to the door, she let Iori back into the room.

He walked over to the bag and remove the hairbrush, hair ties and a blanket. Handing her a blanket he patted to the seat next to him, which Jade quickly sat in. She invited her body so her back was facing him and he slowly moved his hands closer to her hair. He removed the now messy ponytail and started to finger brush through the black locks.

Jade felt shivers crawl down her spine as his fingers pulled through slowly. It instantly made her sleepy and her eyelids felt heavy. A soft humming came from Iori's lips as he hummed his childhood lullaby hoping it would help her sleep. He slowly, and carefully used the hairbrush to brush out any knots in her hair but to his surprise, there were very few. Placing down the brush he heard her breath start to soften and slow down. It's working, he thought. She's falling asleep. He took the remaining hair ties and rolled them down to his wrist. He started to French braid her hair knowing how she probably wanted to remain herself.

He finished a few minutes later and it was a perfect braid. (But what else could you expect? It's Iori. He can do anything.) He picked her up and laid her down along the bench laying the blanket over her stressed body. Sitting near her head, he realized that he didn't bring a pillow. Going for the next best thing, he placed her head onto his lap and he propped his head up with his right arm. The sound of the clock ticking was the only noise in the hospital after his breathing slowed, softened, and he fell asleep.