Chapter 40

Jade POV~

"Ema," I quickly slam the door closed as I enter her room, "Why does my heart hurt?" She looks up from her video game and looks at me trying to read my face.

"Why does your heart hurt?" she repeats. I sit down next to her and turn on a controller.

"Yeah, Why does it hurt?"

"Tell me everything that's happened since you left my room."

"But that's only 5 minutes."

"A lot can happen in 5 minutes Jade."

Sighing, I explained to Ema. "Well, before we returned to Japan I told Iori that I had recovered and my personalities we gone. Just now, I went out to the living room to tell him that they weren't but Masaomi told me that he left for a 2 day trip for his school."

"And that's what's gotten you upset? Jade, the emotionless girl in her own world?" Ema said sarcastically. It sounded like she thought I was an idiot.

"Hey," I said a little bit annoyed with her tone, "I've changed a lot since moving here. You just weren't here to see."

"I know, I know, I could see it when we were in Hawaii." She stretched out her limbs and looked up at the ceiling. "Isn't it funny how people change once their environment changes?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know, like how quiet I was." I nodded my head. "I would've never thought about studying abroad but look what I just did, spent a whole semester in the States." She let out a sigh before continuing. "And it's all because of them. It only took 13 people to change my life. Do you understand?"

I nodded. "Yeah I know. When I first got here I was completely unsocial but look now, I played in a concert just a few days ago."

"There's something in their genes that changes people for the better," Ema said before drifting away from the conversation and returning to her game.

"Hey, you still haven't answered my question," I said taking a seat.

"About your heart?"

"Yeah, that question.

"Isn't it obvious? Your in love with Iori."

The room grew quiet as I tried to process this information. "But were cousins," I stuttered out.

"Yeah but your not directly blood related. There is only a law against people with direct blood connection because apparently if they have children they will have a mutation or something like that," she said halfheartedly as she tried to win her game.

Children... I blushed at the thought of having children, let alone with Iori. It was true that I thought he was attractive and his gentlemanly personality was a plus, but love?

I sat there dumbfounded before Ema became annoyed at me and kicked me out of her room.

In love... I walked aimlessly into the living room before plopping down into the couch.

"You okay?" Subaru asked looking at my dazed face.

"No," I whined. "I'm so confused."

"Okay then, I'll just leave you to be," he said and turned towards the exit.

"Ema confused me so much in less than 5 minutes," I started to rant about what happened and eventually Subaru had taken a seat.

"So, what do you want me to do?" he asked as soon as he got a chance.

"What should I do?" I ask, looking at him directly. The emotion of being confused was clearly on my face.

"Well, I'd just confess to him, Iori is a very low-key person and if he rejects you, your relationship won't change. Go for it." He responded, rubbing the back of his neck.

"But how? We're cousins, I can't just say 'Hey, I like you please go out with me.' to him naturally."

"Then confess like I confessed to Ema, so it in a natural way that could mean two different things."

"W-wait, you confessed to Ema?" My eyes widened in surprise. Ema was always with him but, a confession???

"Yeah, but that's another story. You should focus on that confession."

"Yeah, thanks Subaru, you've helped a lot." I watch him stand up and walk away, might I say very quickly, exiting the room.

Confession... Should I do it? And how?

Narrator POV~

Jade sat in front of her computer screen for what seemed like forever. All the usesless sites on 'How to Confess to Your Crush' were pointless.

Turning off her monitor and a stretching out her arms above her head, she looked outside and decided to take a walk.

The park was empty besides all of those who walked past the flowers and trees.

She stopped to sit down on a bench surrounded by flowers of different kinds.

Iori, she thought, what's a casual way to confess that could play off as a friendly gesture? She thought back to when they were in Hawaii as she looked at the flowers when an idea popped into her head. Flowers...

Jumping up, she ran to the closest flower shop.

Time Skip, the day Iori returns~

Iori walked back into the silent condo and made his way to his room. It was 5 in the morning and everyone was asleep.

Opening his door, he was confronted with a surprise. It was a bouquet of red rose buds.

Red rose buds? He thought, In the language of flowers, it means a confession of love. But from who?

He examined the bouquet of buds And found a piece of paper with one word. Jade.

How cute... He thought, smiling to himself. I must give her an answer tomorrow.

Iori fell asleep that night with a, genuine, smile on his face that night.

Time Skip, 1 p.m.~

Jade was on edge and nervous as she wondered if Iori got her present and how he perceived it.

Wanting to calm her nerves, she decided to take another walk. She didn't make it very far before she ran into the person she didn't want to see.

"Good afternoon Jade," he greeted. She only nodded. "Your present was very nice, but how odd that you decided to give me flowers that have yet to bloom," he continued. Did he not get it? She thought, a little relieved yet disappointed. "Oh, I also have something to give you. Wait right here." He said running off into the condo.

She took a seat and looked up at the clear blue sky. So he just saw it as a friendly gesture, She thought. At least nothing change for the worst.

"Jade!" Iori called making her look down and at him. A hand was behind his back and he was bidding something. "Close your eyes," he told her.

She listened and closed both silver eyes waiting for him to tell her it was okay to open them.

"For you," his calm voice said as a smile spread across his lips.

She opened them and looked into his left hand and then at his smiling face.

It was a red tulip.

The End

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow, I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in like 3 weeks but I suck at writing endings plus it was the last 3 weeks of school and I had so many tests. It took me forever to think of a decent ending and after rereading it, it looks like he was going to propose...whoops. I mean she's 15 and he's 18. That's too early for marriage in my opinion thank you very much.

Anyways, a big thanks to those who've made it this far. And if you didn't get the red tulip reference (if you've watched the anime you should know this) it was used in episode 5 when Iori gave a red tulip to Ema and Juli said "In the language of flowers, a red tulip means 'declaration of love'!"