Chapter 43: To Tell or Not To Tell?

Max:

The portal dropped us off in the D.T.C. lounge area. I plopped down on the nearest seat —a green beanbag— as Steven came through, giving Crystal a piggyback ride.

Upon reaching the castle earlier, we found Anna dancing around the courtyard with Olaf. Apparently, the spell had reverted the time to the day of the ball, before the merge had happened. The attack of the Nightmares was non-existent. Steven even went as far as to ask about the sudden snowfall.

"Snowfall? The only snow here is in Olaf's snow flurry, Steven. What are you talking about?" Anna had replied.

Crystal had chosen that moment to arrive, informing us that Johanna had been returned home safely. She was then promptly whisked away by Anna into the crowd of dancing people.

If not for its high quality, I'm sure Crystal's shoes would've been worn through by now. That's how long she'd been dancing with the townsfolk. Well, I may have slightly exaggerated, but only slightly. This explains Crystal's exhaustion and Steven carrying her on his back. Even I felt a little light-headed... Of course, that could've been because of all the punch I drank.

Crystal groaned as she got off of Steven's back and flopped down onto the couch. Steven stretched out and sat on his favorite armchair, right across from me.

"I never want to see snow ever again....well, for the next ten years at least." Crystal said, turning away from us and curling up against the couch.

An idea came to me and a grin appeared on my face. From my place on the beanbag, I thrust my hand out, planning on covering Crystal in a pile of snow. Sadly, I forgot about the Gauntlet... again.

'PLOOMPF!'

So yes, Crystal got covered in snow. Unfortunately, so did everyone else.

"Max!" The guys exclaimed as soon as their heads popped out.

Crystal remained still...unusually still. Then the snow around her quivered and converged on the coffee table. The snow surrounding the others joined it and floated above my head.

'POOF!' Crystal had used the snow to make a rain cloud, and now the icy cold water was falling on my head. "What? Hey!"

Crystal turned over to face us, but her eyes remained closed. "Just this once, Maxie, keep your snow to yourself. What would your girlfriend say?"

My eyes bugged out and I stopped swatting at the cloud above my head. I stared at her, then looked at the D.T.C, who had the same stunned expression I knew was on mine. When did I­—? How did she—?

"What was that, Crystal?" Johnny asked, being the calmest one in the situation. I find it ironic that he's the one with fire powers and I'm the 'hothead' with the ice powers.

Crystal frowned as if sensing our unease. "'Keep your snow to yourself'?"

"No. The other thing."

"Oh, 'what would your girlfriend say?'" Crystal laughed. "Don't worry. Max isn't keeping a secret from you guys. I meant future girlfriend. When Max gets a girl, which I seriously doubt, I'm telling her all of the embarrassing stuff I know about Max!"

I silently exhaled in relief and laughed shakily, trying to regain my composure. "In your dreams, Crystal. When I get a girl, I'm telling her all about you first!"

"I'll know, Maxie. I'll know." She said before turning over again. I exchanged another uncomfortable glance with the others.

'We should tell her.' Danny said telepathically.