Chapter 40: We Fight Fear... Again

Danny:

Thunder rumbled across the sky as Pitch emerged from the trees on his black sand steed. He was flanked by two knights in black armor and of course, had an army of Nightmares backing him up.

"You don't know how happy it makes me seeing you like this. You all look—"

"Awful?" Johanna butted in.

"Jac." Crystal muttered, elbowing her friend's side.

The sky darkened, making Pitch's eyes glow ominously as they landed on Johanna's form. "Ah, this must be the precious mortal you are all so desperate enough to seek help from. Interesting. Well, Johanna Clifford, meet the last things you'll ever see, the Knight of Fear and the Knight of Misery." Crystal's eyes narrowed at Pitch and his two companions before widening in shock. "Look familiar, Crystal? You may know them as—"

"Two of the Knights of Black. Pitch, you son of a Nightmare! They are not yours to command!" Crystal exclaimed in anger.

"Oh, I beg to differ, Traveler."

One of the knights stepped forward and hit his sword against his shield. "Et ultra non serviamus mortem!" (We no longer serve Death!) He exclaimed in a gravelly voice. According to my D-Morpher, he was speaking Latin.

"Nunquam servierunt mortem!" (You never served Death!) Crystal retaliated. "Quaestuosa munere functus es cum morte! Debes verecundari" (You worked with him! You should be ashamed—)

"Tace!" (Silence!) The other knight exclaimed. He raised his lance into the air but said nothing else, as if waiting for something.

"Since when did Crystal start speaking Latin?" I muttered to Max, who simply shrugged in reply.

Pitch smirked and laughed that stupid laugh of his. "Boo."

The Nightmares immediately surged forward, the two knights in the lead. Crystal was still glaring hatefully at Pitch as she said, "Johnny, take care of Jac for me, will you?"

"No problem." Johnny said, taking out his crossbow blaster.

"What?" Johanna complained. "But I— wait. You're going to battle an army of Nightmares with a crossbow?"

"You get used to it. Impugno!" (Attack!) Crystal charged forward with the Guardians to meet the Nightmares head on.

"Hey, with our powers malfunctioning, we don't really have a choice." Steven said as he and Max took out their guns.

"Well," I shrugged, taking out my battle rifle. "At least no one can say this was a boring camping trip." We then geared up in full D.T. C. combat armor and plunged into battle for probably the third time this week.

'PSHOOM-SHOOMPF!' 'PSHOOMF!' That was the sound our guns made upon hitting their target. One Nightmare after another, they went down. On my, I don't know, twentieth Nightmare? I noticed the disintegrated sand shifting, reforming once more.

"Their numbers don't seem to be getting any smaller!" Max exclaimed from my right as he dodged one of Bunny's boomerangs.

Not getting smaller? I glanced over at Raj and Lazlo, who were freezing Nightmares with their combined bending. "Dang it." I muttered, putting away my rifle and taking out my Keyblade. "Guys, the guns won't work. Remember, only ice and fire can actually defeat them!"

"Curses!" Max and Johnny exclaimed in unison.

A few feet in front of me, Steven stowed his assault rifle to take out his own Keyblade. 'SLASH!' A Nightmare went down. I was about to question Steven's actions when I noticed that it took a little longer for the creature to reform.