Chapter 29: Frost, Fears and Flames

Steven:

There were at least two dozen Nightmares rampaging around the courtyard, causing people to go into a panic. The screams had come from the ambassador of the Southern Isles' three daughters. They were currently surrounded by five of Pitch's dark horses.

I threw my Keyblade at them, boomerang style, and they crashed to the ground in pieces. "Yes!"

"Uh, look again, cuz." Johnny pointed. The Nightmares had reformed, looking grumpier than before.

"Aw, man."

Before they could pounce on the girls, Johnny jumped in between with flames dancing around his fingers. "Eat flames, Night-freaks!"

'WHOOSH!' 'FSSS'

'DING!' Johnny flicked the glass statues with a satisfied smirk. "Fire and sand equals glass. You're safe now, ladies."

As Johnny escorted the girls, who were thanking and praising him, to a safer place, I continued the task of getting rid of the Nightmares.

"They've gotten stronger." Lazlo stated beside me. "Only fire stops them now."

"Thundaga!" The Nightmare became a puddle that slowly solidified into glass.

"Huh, lightning works too. I see." Lazlo added.

"Where's Hailow?"

"Protecting the royal siblings."

The sound of ice hitting sand came from behind me. I whirled around to see a Nightmare frozen two feet away. "Jack, about time!"

"Who's Jack?" I felt as if the ice shot had frozen me as well.

"E-Elsa? I thought you were with Hailow?" I stuttered, stopping a nearby Nightmare from attacking Gerda.

"I can't just stand by and watch." She retorted, sending a blast at two more horses.

I remained silent, focusing on the increasing number of Nightmares. "Aaaah!" I heard a high-pitched voice scream. Elsa? Anna?

'KABUMP!' More like a 200-pound violin named Hailow. I should've known from the way the scream seemed... musical somehow. "Get. Off." I managed to grunt.

"Sorry."

As we got up, Johnny jumped out of nowhere, flames burning brightly. "Duck." When I did as he ordered, I realized that we were completely surrounded by the dark creatures. "Let's turn up the heat!" Johnny put his fists together, sending wave after wave of flames that dissipated a few inches past their ranks.

I looked up to find that we were surrounded by glass statues. "Is that all of them?"

Johnny shrugged, trying to get a glass Nightmare head off his arm.

Suddenly, a familiar dark laugh sounded around the courtyard. Pitch Black was up in the air, having a little duel with Jack.

"There will always be fear, Jack." He sneered, pushing Jack away. "And now, prepare to witness one of yours." Pitch conjured up two black javelins, one pointed at us and the other pointed at... Elsa. She was currently fighting off the remaining Nightmares. "You can't save both, Jack. Whatever will you do?"

I tried to move, but found my shoes held down by horse hooves. Pinned to the floor by glass horses. How embarrassing. "Johnny." I growled.

"On it." He murmured, freeing his arm at last.  Johnny threw an extra-large fireball the second Pitch let the javelins go. The javelin headed our way immediately turned to glass and exploded, the broken shards flung back towards Pitch, who blocked it with his shadow magic. Johnny tried to hit the second javelin but missed it by inches.