Chapter 15 - Barbecue

Pharrel Williams is adorable.

That is all.

“Sounds to me like I was right” Carter rolled his eyes at Nick as he continued to lift weights. He was in the school gym with Nick since the coach wanted the team to beef up a bit. He had spent the past half hour talking about Lucky and how nervous he was about the barbeque later today.

“Right about what?” Carter asked, his voice coming out slightly breathless.

“You’re falling for Lucky” Nick said with a shrug. He sighed and shook his head. He couldn’t be falling for Lucky, she’s not Sarah and he promised himself not to fall for any girl ever again.

“I’m not. We’re just friends” he said to Nick.

“Look Carter, I know what happened to your girlfriend was horrible but everyone deserves a second chance” Nick said, Carter set the weight down and sat up to look at him. He sighed and gripped onto the seat at the mention of Sarah. “I think Lucky is your second chance.”

“I don’t know man. She’s great but I can’t see myself with any other girl” Carter admitted, feeling the muscle in his jaw tick.

“Carter…people die for a reason sometimes” he said, looking as if he didn’t really want to say it. Carter’s head snapped up to glare at his best friend who looked like he was in deep thought.

“What do you mean?” Carter asked, feeling curious as to Nick’s sudden seriousness.

I mean-” Nick started but the sound if voices made the two boys quiet down. Carter narrowed his eyes when Sam walked into the gym with Lucky in tow. Why was she still with him? He didn’t know why he felt anger build up at the fact that she was with Sam.

“I’m out” Carter ground out, getting up from the bench.

“So are you sure they will like me?” Carter asked Lucky that night. He was pretty sure her whole family was at the barbeque and he was beginning to regret agreeing to go because her two eldest brothers were there. He had nothing against them but at the same time he was terrified of them.

“My brothers like you” Lucky answered. He gave her a blank look and bit his lip to prevent a smile when she broke out in a fit of giggles. “I’m serious! They do. They’re just…they don’t like boys around me.”

“What about Nick?” he asked, cocking one eyebrow.

“Nick had been around since we were kids. My brothers became all psycho over me when I hit puberty” she said with a shrug. He understood how her brothers felt. If he had a sister, he may be the exact same way. Maybe even more psycho.

“I see. Okay let’s go” he said, resisting the urge to take her hand as they walked onto the patio where Lucky’s family and friends were. Carter saw a group of adults who he assumed were her parents and parents’ friends and another group of people who seemed to be in their twenties. He recognized Lucky’s brothers and an older girl who was wedged in between them. Apart from the hair, she looked just like Lucky.

As soon as they stepped onto the patio, he noticed all of Lucky’s brothers, Mikael and Junior and her brother – in – law glaring at him and the woman who resembled Lucky ran up to him.

“You’re Carter?” the woman asked, when he nodded she squealed.

“Shawna! Calm down” Lucky hissed at the woman. Carter had a feeling that this girl was Lucky’s older sister. He had heard a lot about her so he knew she was a nice lady.