Chapter 9 - Get Over It

Reminder: Football = soccer

Yeah the football team wasn’t a one chapter thing. He legit joined the team, therefore football will be mentioned. I might have to do my research on football (meaning going into my brother’s room and asking him and hoping he doesn’t kick me out. Oh sibling love. ) but I’ve been to several football matches and I watched practices. *fingers crossed*

“Lift your feet higher ladies!” Carter rolled his eyes at the coach’s nickname for the team. He resisted the urge to glare at his football coach as he simply obeyed what he told them to do. He just wanted to be over so he could apologize to Lucky. She caught him at a bad moment yesterday but now he felt guilty. Yesterday would have been Sarah’s birthday.

“You okay man?” he heard Nick ask as they started doing the regular stretches.

“Yeah I’m fine” Carter grumbled out. He couldn’t explain why he felt so bad. Usually he wouldn’t have cared. He would rather push Lucky away before she got too close but he couldn’t explain why he didn’t want to do that to her.

“No you’re not. I know you’re generally in a bad mood but today it seems to be worse” Nick said.

“Yesterday I kind of snapped at Lucky and I feel guilty. Happy?” he explained, trying to balance the football on his knee. He was learning to love football again. His uncle had told him that sport is a good way to take your mind off something and it was true, although he still felt slightly depressed, he felt better than when she first died but it didn’t mean he still didn’t have his moments where he sat alone in his room and just thought about her.

“Why don’t you just try to make friends?” Nick asked. Carter sighed and started bouncing the ball on his knee and then passed it to another one of his teammates.

“You’re my friend, aren’t you?” Carter asked with a shrug and it was true.

“Yeah but besides me. You rarely ever talk to Maria or Daniel unless you have to. You talk to Lucky but it’s complicated since she’s the one who talks but you always seem more comfortable around me or her” Nick said, until grinning like an idiot. “Oh, I see.”

“What exactly does your sick mind see?” Carter asked, feeling amused.

“You have a little crush on Lucky” Nick said, wiggling his eyebrows, Carter’s eyes widened and he let out a string of denials. He’s only known Lucky for a month and his girlfriend only died two months ago. Lucky was nothing like Sarah and Sarah was his type.

She’s not Sarah.

“Oh really, c’mon you have to admit, Lucky is pretty. But don’t tell Maria I said that” Nick said.

“Yeah she’s alright” Carter muttered. The truth was: Lucky was extremely pretty but she wasn’t Sarah. No one could bring Sarah back. “Keep your voice down. Didn’t you say her boyfriend was on this team?”

“Yeah, so? Sam is on the other side of the field. We’re defenders, remember? He’s a midfielder. So relax” Nick said, looking amused.

“This is just warm ups Nick, he doesn’t have to stay in his position” Carter reminded him.

“Whatever. But you should think about what I said about the friend thing. I know you’ve been trying. I could tell because yesterday you actually cracked a smile at Maria” Nick said. “By the way, never smile at my girlfriend again” he said, giving him a stern look. Carter raised his hands in defence and took a step back.

“Promise” Carter said, patting Nick on the back, chuckling.