Chapter 14 - So Close To Being In Love

Kinda halfway through since this is gonna be like 32 chapters.

This is kind of a filler chapter. Sorry if it’s kinda boring

The song at the side is awesome

“So, what are all these balloons for?” Carter asked Lucky as they helped her family decorate the house for some kind of family gathering they were having. He was outside on the patio with her while her family was inside.

“Just for decorations” she answered with a shrug. He tied another balloon to one of the benches and turned around to respond but she wasn’t looking at him, she was too busy wrestling to blow up one of the balloons, he chuckled and walked over to her and took the blue balloon out of her hands and blew it up for her. He ignored the feeling he got when she smiled at him. “Thanks” she said.

“Anytime” he said, giving her a proud smile.

“So why were you crying last night?” she asked. Carter’s body went rigid and his palms started sweating as memories of his dream came back to him. He gave her a tight smile and shrugged. “You don’t have to tell me yet if you don’t want to.”

“Thanks Lucky” he said, feeling tears building up in his eyes as memories of Sarah hit him. He didn’t even notice when Lucky pulled him in for a hug. He wrapped his arms around her, feeling comfort.

“Don’t cry” she whispered. He nodded and rested his head on her shoulder. The sound of someone clearing their throat caught his attention and he let go of Lucky and turned around to see her twin brother, Daniel, glaring at them. He had almost forgotten that Lucky’s family had been inside and it was a glass door so they would have been able to see them hugging. “Hey Danny” she said.

“Do inside Lucky” Daniel said, crossing his arms over his chest. Carter gulped when she left him alone to deal with her brother. “Look, Carter. You’re my good friend so I mean well when I say this. Don’t touch her.”

Carter nodded quickly and patted Daniel on the back. “Sorry man” he said before scrambling inside to find Lucky. He searched the house for her and found her in the kitchen, she was sitting on one of the stools by the kitchen island, her eyebrows knitted in confusion as she looked down at a book. He smiled and walked up to her to get a closer look at the book.

“What are you reading?” he asked. She looked up at him and rested the book down on the island.

“Some cook book. My mom asked me to make a carrot cake for tomorrow because she assumed I was done with what I was doing outside” she explained, looking frustrated.

“Well we were pretty much done with the decorations anyway” Carter said with a shrug, reading through the cook book. He wasn’t a chef and he knew Lucky wasn’t. “C’mon, I’ll help you” he said, holding out his hand for her, he ignored the sparks when she took his hand and he led her to the fridge and started taking out the ingredients.

“I can’t bake” she told him, looking down shyly. He chuckled at her cuteness and placed one finger under her chin so she would look up at him.

“Neither can I” he said, smiling when she giggled and shoved his shoulder playfully.

“This should be one interesting carrot cake then” she joked.

“So here’s the carrots” Carter said, taking a bite out of one of them before resting them down on the counter and started slicing them before he felt Lucky’s hand over his hand.

“You’re supposed to dice them. Like this” he watched as she guided his hand. He turned around to look at her and they met each other’s eyes. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips when her breath hitched.

“So” Lucky said, clearing her throat. “Do you want to come tomorrow?” she asked.

“Come to what?” he asked.

“To the family barbeque. My sister really wants to meet you for some reason” she said. He shrugged, he honestly didn’t want to be around her eldest brothers but he nodded.

“Sounds good” he answered, cocking one eyebrow when she walked away from him and started filling a cup with water. “That’s for the cake?” he asked.

“Yep” she answered but she stumbled slightly and the water spilled all over his shirt. He cringed when it soaked through and his skin started showing through his white shirt. “I’m so sorry Carter” she apologized.

He smirked at her and put his hand under the flowing water and splashed her. “We’re even now” he said. Just then he noticed she was going to walk back towards him but she almost fell. He tried to steady her but they both ended up slipping and falling due to the wet kitchen fall. Carter chuckled when Lucky burst out laughing.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

“C’mon, let’s go to the photo booth” Lucky said, clapping excitedly before grabbing a reluctant Carter’s hand. He chuckled at how excited she was over a photo booth. They were at the school’s bazaar and there was a photo booth in the middle of everything. He sat inside the small booth with Lucky and he put money into the booth before he was forced to do a whole array of facial expressions.

“These look pretty good” he said as he took the strips of pictures and handed one to Lucky.

“Okay so what next?” she asked. Carter looked around at all the games that the school had provided and smirked when he caught sight of the haunted house. Since Lucky had forced him to do the photo booth, it was his turn to choose.

“Haunted house?” he suggested, laughing when she whipped her head around to look at him. “Don’t worry I’ll be right here.”

“Okay fine” she sighed, he smiled at her as they walked towards the haunted house. He paid the guy at the front and they walked inside. The fake ghost noises and cobwebs didn’t scare him one bit but Lucky was literally clinging onto him and screaming anytime something touched them.

They exited the haunted house, Lucky was still clinging onto him and trembling slightly.

“It wasn’t that scary Lucky” he said with a shrug when she glared at him. They walked towards the fun house with all the distorted mirrors. He couldn’t help but smile at how much Lucky’s mood changed as she giggled at the distorted figures of themselves.

“I look like Mrs George in this mirror” Lucky said with a laugh.

“Yeah you do” Carter said, looking at himself in one of the other mirrors.

“Hey, look a dart board” she said suddenly. Carter turned around to see a dart board in the room next to them. “Can you play darts?” she asked, walking into the room. He followed after her. There were a few other students from the school in the room but most of them were playing pool or just sitting around chatting.

“Yeah. My friend back in Washington taught me. Can you?” he asked, picking up one of the darts and throwing it at the board, he missed the target by a little bit.

“No, I’ve never played before” she said, looking at the dart she was holding in her hand with confusion. Carter smiled at the cute expression of confusion on her face and took her wrist gently.

“Just keep your eye on the target” he said, pointing at the target and keeping a gentle grip on her wrist as he guided her hand. Grinning when she hit the target. She jumped up and down excitedly, he was surprised when she pulled him in for a hug.

“See? It’s easy” he said, smiling down at her.

Once again, this was a filler

ALMOST IS NEVER ENOUGH! Dat song

Anyway, while I wait for one of my friends to text me back. Hope you enjoy this chapter xD