Chapter 24 - Beautiful Life

It’s been a while since I updated. Sorry. I’ve been form sixing. So here’s the new chapter. I’ll try to update one of my books at least weekly or bi – weekly (orwheneverIwant) so here we go!

I recommend reading the last chapter before you read this just to refresh your memory.

Football = Soccer

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Lucky asked Carter as they both stared at the house. He was feeling a mixture of emotions and he felt like he just wanted to collapse. They were standing in front of Sarah’s house, he had insisted that Lucky go with him so he felt slightly at ease although even she didn’t know what they were doing there yet. After his talk with Jordan, Carter had felt confident about talking to Sarah’s parents but Lucky still didn’t know of his feelings for her. He glanced in Lucky’s direction but she was already looking at him. He gave her a tight smile and hesitantly knocked on the door.

It felt like hours had passed before someone opened the door. Carter felt a lump in his throat when Sarah’s mother opened the door She looked the same as when he had left months ago, except her eyes didn’t have the usual happiness she had when Sarah was alive. Her eyes were wide with surprise. Carter looked down at Lucky who looked confused.

“Hi Mrs Briggs” Carter said politely, he felt like he had to force each word out. He held his hand out for Mrs Briggs to shake but instead she pulled him into a hug, surprising him but he hugged her back awkwardly. It was weird for him to get any kind of affection from Sarah’s mother who was usually a bit cold towards him at least from his past experience with her parents who were both quite uptight.

“It’s nice to see you Carter” she said and then she seemed to catch sigh of Lucky who was standing in behind Carter, looking quite awkward, looking around. Carter smiled at her and extended his hand for her to take, forgetting Mrs Briggs was there for a second. “Who’s this?” she asked, sounding less than pleased.

“This is my friend, Lucky” he said, giving her a light push forward to greet Mrs Briggs.

“Hi” Lucky said, still looking confused. Carter felt beads of sweat dot his forehead when Mrs Briggs gave him a confused look but invited them inside. Had she already figured out his feelings for Lucky after five minutes? He felt nostalgic as he stepped inside the house, seeing the family’s portraits. But after a moment he realized something was off. There were no pictures with Sarah or of Sarah.

“Ae you hungry Carter? Lucky?” he shook his head at Mrs Briggs and turned around to look at Lucky who was looking down at the floor as if she was deep in thought. She shook her head lightly and Mrs Briggs shrugged and went down the hall leaving Carter and Lucky alone.

“Are you okay?” Carter asked her as soon as Mrs Briggs was out of ear shot. When she looked up, he felt alarmed that tears were in his eyes.

“Is that Sarah’s mom?” she asked, he detected sadness and a hint of jealousy in her voice.

“Yeah” he answered sadly, attempting to smile at her.

“Why am I here Carter?” she asked, her voice shaky. He sighed and took one of her hands in his, smirking when she blushed.

“Just to visit” he lied, feeling guilty.

“You’re lying” she said, narrowing her eyes. “Why are we here?”

“To get some closure and I have something to talk to you about that I can’t talk to you about until I talk to her parents” he said, smiling when she looked satisfied.