Chapter 6 - The Team

The story gets a lot less depressing from here on out. It’s supposed to be like Chicklit/ Romance/ Humour. Just like Life As I Know and Last Trip to Italy. Except wattpad only gives us two options hence its listed under Chicklit/ Romance (as far as I remember)

Football= Soccer for the fellow Americans.

So my older brother plays football so I know a good bit about it since the football team (he was Captain) are all friends with me and he taught me a lot of basic football skills but I’m not sure how accurate my knowledge of it is.

Let’s hope watching Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham has paid off.

“Are you sure I should be doing this?’ Carter asked Nick as he put his football boots on. He felt tired and grouchy considering it was really early in the morning and he had never been a morning person. He didn’t know how but Nick had convinced him to try out for the football team. He loved football but this meant he would be on a team with other people and he would have to interact a lot which is something he wasn’t ready for.

“Uncle Sid asked me to keep you company and to make sure you didn’t just mope around after you-know-what and he said you liked sports” Nick whispered, probably so the other boys in the changing room won’t hear. A few of them had been eyeing Carter strangely, probably because he was still kind of new and he didn’t willingly talk to anyone but Nick and sometimes, Lucky.

“But- you know I’m not talkative” Carter complained, pulling the team shirt over his head and running a hand through his already messy hair.

“Uncle Sid said before you-know-what you never used to shut up” Nick said bluntly making Carter sigh. It was true. He used to be the most talkative person he knew before Sarah died but things change.

“Okay fine, I’ll give it a try” he said, standing up from the bench he had been sitting on. Just then the coach walked in the room and blew his whistle.

“I want you guys out on the field in five minutes!” he yelled angrily. Carter resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he followed the other boys outside onto the field where there were already a few obstacles set up. Cones, goal posts and several footballs just sitting in a netted bag.

“Okay who’s first?” the coach asked. All the boys stayed silent. The guy was scary, Carter knew for sure he wasn’t going to go first and risk getting criticized but his plan as ruined when he felt Nick give him a slight push forward. He turned back to glare at his friend who just smiled innocently.

“Nichols! Head to the cones!” Coach said, blowing his whistle which Carter was learning to hate. He sighed and started doing the course, thinking of Sarah as he did it. Maybe this was the right thing to do. To start back doing the things he loves and try to live a life without Sarah in it. Maybe he should start being a little but nicer to Lucky, Maria and Daniel. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to let Nick become his best friend. But one thing for sure, he was never going to fall in love again.

Sarah was the one for him, the only one for him. He didn’t know any other girl like Sarah. He would try to be nicer to Nick’s friends and to Nick but he made the vow right there and then: Never fall in love ever again.

“You made the team Nichols!” Coach said, giving him a hard pat on the back. He tried not to wince as he looked back and realized he completed the whole course successfully. He noticed Nick smirking proudly at him and when he headed back to the group. Several of the guys patted him on the back as a way of congratulating him. He sat on the soft grass and watched everyone else run the obstacle the coach had set up. A lot of the guys made it through but some failed.