Chapter 4 - Detention

Picture of Sarah >>>>>>>>>>>

“Okay class, today we’re gonna talk about adjectives” the English teacher started. Half the class groaned and the other half just stared at Mrs Monroe blankly. It seemed like English wasn’t this school’s strong point. Carter felt a smile tug at the corner of his lips when he caught sight of Lucky sleeping at the back of the class.

Back at his old school, Sarah loved English but he hated it but she always used to tutor him and made sure he got at least a B in English.

“Wake up sleepy head” Carter groaned when he felt Sarah poke his shoulder incessantly. She chuckled when he shot her a glare but he got up because knowing Sarah he wouldn’t stop pestering him until he woke up.

“What?” he asked, wondering why he was awake. He knew he should have been paying attention to the English teacher but English was his worst subject so why bother?

“Pay attention” she scolded, he rolled his eyes. He was usually a lot more pleasant but English made him grouchy.

“No” he mumbled out, he made a move to rest his head back on the desk but she grabbed his face to stop him. “Okay fine.”

“Good boy” she said giving him a bright smile and he couldn’t help but smile back at her.

“Mr Nichols. What did I just say?” the teacher asked. Carter broke out of his day dream and he realized the teacher was glaring at him. He sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

“Detention tomorrow Mr Nichols. That goes for you too Ms Embry” Mrs Monroe said, making Lucky jolt awake. Carter internally chuckled when she nearly fell out of her seat. He didn’t blame her. Detention on a Saturday should be a crime.

“Why do I have detention” Lucky asked, standing up. He watched in slight amusement when she started arguing with the teacher until she ended up getting the both of them extra time in detention. He sent a scowl in her direction and she just gave him an innocent shrug.  He shook his head at her and she sent him a smile.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

“No talking, texting or leaving unless you’re going to the bathroom” Mrs Monroe said the next day. Carter nodded in agreement just she won’t target him but he was surprised when Lucky nodded as well. Mrs Monroe gave them a curt nod before heading out the door. As soon as she left Lucky stood up and walked up to the clock and took it down from the wall.

“What are you doing?” Carter asked her, feeling curious as she seemed to spinning something. He realized she was adjusting the hands on the clock. What kind of school was this?

“Do you want to leave one hour earlier or two hours?” she asked him, as she removed a purple strand from in front of her eyes.

“Doesn’t matter I guess” he mumbled. He didn’t understand how she could just adjust the clock. He watched Lucky as she made a few more adjustments on the clock. Her hair was falling around her face and her eyebrows were scrunched up together.

She really is quite pretty’ Carter thought as he stared at her but then he remembered one thing. She’s not Sarah, sighing; he shook any thoughts about Lucky away and watched as she hung the clock back up.

“Let’s go” she said, holding her hand out. He stared down at her hand in hesitation and looked at the clock then the door.

“Huh?” he asked, cocking one eyebrow.