Chapter 21 - I'll Carry You

“Lucky hasn’t spoken to you in three weeks Carter, it’s time to do something” Maria chided him. He sighed in defeat as he was reminded of this. After Shawna had fainted in the living room, her husband had come over and after punching his father in the face, much to everyone’s surprise, he attended to Shawna.

His father had decided to go back to Washington the day after considering the circumstances but he had made it known that he’d be back.

Lucky had seemed to carefully avoid Carter like the plague after that. Anytime he tried to talk to her, she would give him a nasty look and walk away, breaking his heart as she did so. He didn’t realize how much he cared for her until she started avoiding him. He had tried going to her house but she locked him out. The second time he went to her house, she actually hosed him down and told him to stay away.

“I don’t even know what I did wrong” Carter said in a dejected voice.

“Well figure it out because Lucky’s pissed” Maria said.

“I don’t know what else to do” he said, letting out a frustrated breath and running a hand through his hair. He knew it would probably be sticking up in all directions but he didn’t care.

“Carter, if you really like her, you’ll find a way” she said, his head snapped to the side to look at her. The only person who knew about his feelings for Lucky was Nick. “Nick told me.”

“You better not tell anyone Maria” he warned but his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion when she did a fist pump and squealed.

“Yes! I knew that would work” she exclaimed happily causing the Geography teacher to glare in their direction. “Works every time.”

“I’m going to pretend that didn’t just happen” Carter mumbled, still in shock. “How am I supposed to apologize for something that I don’t even know I did?” he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

“You better find a way” Maria said in a threatening tone. “If you don’t I swear I’ll kill you.”

“Carter, Maria would you like to share your conversation with the class?” the geography teacher asked. Carter gulped and shook his head but of course Maria had to respond.

“No! It’s private” she said, making the class erupt into laughter.

“Alright guys, start stretching” Carter told his teammates that afternoon. He had taken over practice once more since coach decided it would be a good time to take his wife to the Bahamas. His teammates nodded and walked off to do the stretches but he noticed Sam giving him a knowing smirk. He gave him a sharp look and turned his attention to Nick who was standing beside him.

“C’mon let’s do this” Carter said sitting down to start doing his stretches.

“So how’s the Lucky situation?” Nick asked, stretching his feet out.

“Horrible” Carter said. “She hates me.”

“She doesn’t hate you, Carter. Lucky doesn’t hate anyone; you just have to ask her what’s wrong and then work it out. I can tell you’re hurt and I can tell she’s hurt” he said.

“Have you talked to her?” Carter asked, his voice coming out in short pants as he started jogging on the spot.

“Yeah but not about you, I think she’s trying to avoid talking about it” Nick said, with a shrug.

“Oh great” Carter muttered sarcastically when Sam approached them, he stopped his jogging and cocked one eyebrow at the smirking boy.

“Hey captain?” Sam addressed him.