Chapter 26 - Every Which Way

****

Review:

“Carter, something’s wrong” Lucky said as the group dispersed and they sat on a rock. He shook his head.

“Nothing’s wrong” he said, getting irritated now. Not with Lucky but with himself.

“But-” she started but he cut her off.

“Nothing’s wrong Sarah” he said before he could stop himself. He heard a gasp and turned to Lucky and noticed tears filling her eyes.

“Did you just call me Sarah?” she asked, the tears began to fall, Carter reached for her to wipe them away but she slapped his arm away. He realized he had made a mistake. A huge mistake.

“We probably shouldn’t be together” she said, breaking his heart. They had only just gotten together.

“Why?” he asked, gritting his teeth to keep from shouting at her. He already knew Nick, who was nearby would have been listening but the rest of the class were either swimming or close to the shore.

“Because it doesn’t make sense” Lucky said, wiping away her tears angrily.

“What do you mean? I want to be with you. I’ve wanted to be with you for months now, Lucky” he explained, trying to reason with her.

“You called me Sarah. Do you want to be with me or with Sarah?” Lucky asked before she stood up and walked away. Carter stared after her retreating figure in shock. He felt a strange sense of déjà vu sitting on that rock, considering this was where he came after Sarah died whenever he was depressed, which was all the time. He chuckled dryly and slouched back, staring at the ocean.

“What was that about?” he heard Nick asked, he looked up and saw Nick giving him a pitiful look.

“I’m sure you heard it” Carter said, as Nick took a seat next to him.

“I did. You know you’re my best friend right?” Nick asked suddenly, Carter nodded and he continued. “Yet I don’t know everything I should know about you, when it comes to your relationship with Sarah, I mean.”

“She was my best friend and girlfriend. I loved her. This was where we had our last date, that was the day she died because I lost control of the car because we were arguing. I never went to her funeral. I just- I couldn’t so I came here instead because I didn’t know where else to go” Carter said, avoiding his best friend’s gaze.

“So do you see Sarah in Lucky?” Nick asked, it seemed he had given that question some thought.

“Not at all. They’re opposites. Lucky is insane, bold, she does whatever she wants and says whatever she wants whenever she feels like it but she has a heart of gold. Sarah was quiet and shy but she was loud when she felt it was necessary and she was kind of stuck up” Carter said, smiling as he thought of Lucky. “And Sarah would have never dyed her hair blue” he joked. Nick chuckled and shoved Carter’s shoulder lightly.

“Well, then it’s obvious you love Lucky” Carter’s head popped up when Nick said ‘love’ so casually. “So make it obvious and show her.”

Carter was just about to agree when his phone vibrated in his pocket. He took it quickly, hoping it was Lucky but groaned when he saw it was his mother.

“Carter” his mother said, sounding relieved. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

“Yes, mom” he said, in the most polite tone he could conjure up.