Chapter 12 - Changing Carter

Warning: Nick and Carter’s friendship is strictly a bromance. BROTP and there is Lucarter in this chapter so be prepared

“Make way for the captain!” Nick yelled making Carter laugh. They were at the party in Daniel’s house and more people than expected showed up, meaning the whole school. Everyone turned around and cheered after Nick drew attention to the fact that the ‘captain’ was there. Carter was shocked at how much people cheered for him and patted him on the back as a sign of respect.

“You need to stop calling me that” Carter told his smirking friend although he was amused by the nickname.

“You’re the captain therefore that’s what I’ll call you” Nick said, resting an arm of Carter’s shoulder as they made their way through the crowd. Every five minutes, people were walking up to them, congratulating them on winning the football match. It was a good feeling.

“Nick! Over here!” Carter spun around to see Maria summoning Nick. She was sitting on top of the kitchen island, along with Daniel and a few other guys on the team. Nick gave Carter a light tap on the back before walking to see what Maria wanted.

Carter sighed, playing with the hem of his shirt. He couldn’t help but think how much he felt like himself today. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he thought of how many people in the school knew him now. A few weeks ago that would’ve annoyed him. The thought of people talking to him. But now he felt it was slightly more comforting than keeping to himself all the time. Just then he felt someone poking his shoulder lightly and turned around to see a girl who looked to be around his age giving him a crooked smiled.

“Hi. You’re Carter right?” she asked, poking his chest. He looked down at her since she was almost a foot shorter than him and nodded, feeling wary. The look in her eyes made him feel uncomfortable. It was a look he had seen many times on Sarah but he never wanted to see it on any other girl. “You’re cute” she said bluntly.

He cocked one eyebrow at the girl and gave her his signature blank look. She giggled and took a hold of his hand. He resisted the urge to pull his hand away since he didn’t want to hurt her feelings but at the same time he didn’t want her close to him. He cringed when she started to play with his hair but the sound of arguing caught his attention. He looked over and saw Lucky with her boyfriend Sam, they were off on one of the couches and they both looked furious at each other.

“I’ll be right back” Carter said. The girl giggled, twirling her brown hair around her fingers and nodded. He smiled at her politely and rolled his eyes as soon as he turned around and headed over to where Lucky and Sam were arguing. He didn’t know why he felt a pang in his chest at the fact that Lucky was with Sam.

“What’s up Captain?” Sam asked, smiling up at Carter as soon as he reached them. Lucky looked like she was about to cry and he gave her a sad look.

“Go” Carter demanded in a low voice. Sam immediately got up from the couch and scrambled away. Idiot.

Carter took the seat next to Lucky and shook her shoulder lightly to get her attention since her head was in her hands. He sighed when she looked up at him and her eyes were red and her cheeks were tear –stained.

“C’mon” he said, holding out a hand for her before he could stop himself. She gave him a hesitant look and took his hand. He ignored the sparks he felt shoot up his hand and headed outside, leading Lucky out of the house. He stopped walking when they reached the huge field which was opposite to her house. They sat down on the wet grass in a comfortable silence. He didn’t know exactly why he made them leave.