Chapter 5 - The Park

Picture of Uncle Sid >>>>

“Carter! There’s a car coming!” Sarah shouted. Carter’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion. They were at the beach, and he wasn’t hearing a car. He turned around but he didn’t see a car anywhere around.

“There’s no car silly” he said, poking her nose playfully. Tears started streaming down Sarah’s face and suddenly a car appeared out of nowhere and slammed into her. Carter watched in horror and rushed to her aid but it was too late

She was gone.

“Sarah! Wake up baby! C’mon, don’t do this” he said, his voice shaky.

“Carter wake up!” he jolted awake, his breathing heavy and ragged and covered in sweat, he looked up and saw Uncle Sid, staring at him with concern. He looked around and realized he was on the couch. He had probably passed out there while he was doing his homework last night.

“Sorry” Carter muttered sadly. His nightmare left him in a sad mood. He had been having that same dream for the past month. It had gotten better after he was forced to hang around Nick’s friends more often since he was Nick’s friend and Daniel, Maria and Lucky were always there. They were always stopping to talk to him and he had heard that when you are surrounded by happy people you get less nightmares.

“It’s okay. You had another nightmare about Sarah?” Uncle Sid asked. Carter simply nodded and he sighed. “Don’t worry man, you’re always going to miss her but I’m sure you’ll move on eventually.”

“I won’t” Carter muttered grumpily and it was true. Every time he saw a beautiful girl the first though that came to his mind was that she wasn’t Sarah.

“Don’t be like that Carter” Uncle Sid said, patting him on the back.

“Nobody can replace Sarah.”

“No. But there are other girls. You just have to be willing to look” he said, getting up from the chair next to the couch. “Anyway. I have to go to work and you have to go to school so hop to it.”

Carter sat down on the bench on the school’s courtyard, trying to finish his homework that he had fallen asleep on that night. He had arrived to school exceptionally early and nobody was really there although he was simply waiting for Nick to show up. He didn’t know why he was looking out for Lucky as well. Maybe because Lucky and Nick were best friends and she may know where Nick was. It seemed like a plausible excuse to him.

“Carter!” he looked up and saw Lucky, Nick and Maria walking towards him. He plastered on a fake smile as he was still feeling the effects of the nightmare.

“Why are you here so early?” Nick asked, taking a seat on the arm of the bench. Lucky plopped down next to him and Maria sat down on the other arm of the bench. She was like the female version of Nick which didn’t surprise him since she was Nick’s girlfriend.

“I woke up early” Carter answered curtly and looked back down at his notebook. He was trying to work out the last formula the Physics teacher had given them.

“You have to carry the two” Lucky told him suddenly. She gently took the pencil from his hands and worked out the part of the equation that was giving him trouble. He looked up at her in shock. From what he could tell Lucky was a delinquent and she was always either sleeping or wreaking havoc in her classes or in Mr Walton’s office or as she liked to call him: Neil.