Chapter 18 - Almost Knew What Love Was

Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance was….interesante

That awkward moment when your mom asks what twerking is and you have to explain it and be like ‘I’m not doing a demonstration’

“Sam, stay behind” Carter called out as he wrapped up football practice. The coach had left him in charge of practice which was going great until Sam walked in twenty minutes late and had such a bad aim that more than a couple balls hit Carter on his head. He tried to keep his temper in check as Sam walked towards him, the rest of the team had already left the locker room apart from Nick who was sitting on one of the benches.

“What’s up captain?” Sam asked in a sarcastic voice. Carter glared at him which instantly made the smirk wipe off his face.

“First of all you showed up twenty minutes late to practice and now I probably have a concussion from those little stunts you pulled. Care to explain Sam?” he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips when Nick came to stand beside him, mimicking his posture.

“I was busy with Lucky” Sam said with a smirk. Carter felt his blood boil and he grabbed Sam by the collar.

“Stay away from her. Got it?” he hissed at the smirking boy.

“Ah? So you do like her?” Sam said.

“That’s none of your business” Nick spoke up. Carter gave him a grateful look and turned his attention back to Sam. “Just stay away.”

“Why should I listen to you?” Sam asked, Carter grabbed his collar again and threw him on the ground and Nick held him down.

“I’m your captain and so is Nick. That’s why” he snapped before letting go of him and angrily storming out the locker room with Nick following behind him. He felt himself fuming at the fact that Sam and Lucky were probably back together.

“Calm down, I think he was lying” Nick said as they walked upstairs to the main hall. Carter shrugged and put his team jacket on. He knew he would have to ask Lucky later. Just then he saw Lucky leaning against her locker talking to Maria and Daniel. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips at how lively she was being.

“Carter!” Lucky exclaimed happily and ran to hug him. He immediately returned it but let go of her when Daniel gave him a sharp look.

“Did practice end late or something?” Maria asked, eyeing Carter and Nick suspiciously.

“No, me and Nick just had to handle some…captain stuff” he said. It wasn’t exactly a lie but he didn’t want anyone to know about their confrontation with Sam, especially if he wasn’t lying and he and Lucky really were back together.

“Speaking of football, how about we have another party after the match on Saturday?” Daniel asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes. “And this time you can’t disappear halfway through” he said, pointing to Carter.

“Promise” Carter said, giving Lucky a knowing smirk when Daniel turned away

“So you have time to sneak onto her balcony but you have no time to tell her how you feel?” Nick asked Carter. He sighed and looked down at the ground, leaning against the car. They had to stay back late in school so not many students were around.

“It’s complicated” he answered.

“How is telling someone how you feel complicated Carter?” he asked.