Chapter 23 - Washington, oh Washington

“Okay class, last roll call then we’re headed to the bus” the Geography teacher called out. This was the day Carter had been dreading yet anticipating since the teacher announced it. He took a deep breath before stepping onto the bus, taking the seat next to Lucky and across from Nick and Maria. He smiled down at Lucky who was reading a travel magazine.

“I’ve always wanted to go to Italy” Lucky commented suddenly. Carter looked up and saw the page she was on was all about Italy. He had spent the first three years of his life there with his parents. “My family went there while my mom was pregnant with me so technically I have been there.”

“Technically” he said sarcastically, trying to ignore how cute Lucky looked with her lips pursed and the glare she was sending his way. He felt slight pain when she slapped him with the magazine. In just a few days, he was going to tell her how he felt, that she was the reason he wasn’t depressed anymore, that she was the one he liked.

“Shut up, Carter” she said, flipping some of her midnight blue hair over her shoulder.

“You, shut up” he teased, chuckling when she gave him a sharp look. He looked up to see Nick and Maria smirking at the two and he gave them a warning look, basically telling them with his eyes not to make anything obvious.

“So since we exist again” Maria said, he knew she was referring to herself and Nick. “Aren’t you excited? Our first class trip out of New York.”

“I’m not excited” Nick deadpanned and Carter nodded in agreement.

“You both are such bummers” Maria complained with a pout.

“It comes with the bromance” Lucky said with a laugh. Carter gave Nick a horrified look which he returned.

“Boys don’t have bromances. Carter’s my best friend but we don’t have a bromance” Nick said.

“Yeah right” Lucky said with a scoff. Just then the Geography teacher called on them to pay attention .

“Okay class, we’re taking off now” she announced. Carter shifted in his seat to make himself comfortable, a smile tugged at the corner of his lips when Lucky scooted closer to him. He felt his heart beat faster when they made eye contact for a split second.

“Well this is like a three hour ride so I’m gonna sleep” Lucky announced, grabbing one of the pillows provided but Carter grabbed her forearm gently before she picked one up and he tried to ignore the sparks.

“Stay awake, I need someone to talk to. Nick and Maria fell asleep already” he begged, trying to do his best puppy dog face. He noticed an emotion flash in Lucky’s eyes but it was gone before he could detect it.

“Fine” she said with a sigh, resting the pillow on her lap. “But when I do fall asleep if you wake me up I will kill you” she threatened. Carter tried not to laugh at the threat as he leaned his head against the window of the bus.

They had spent half the trip talking about nothing in particular but Carter just enjoyed listening to Lucky talk. She was always so excited and made everything seem like it was alright. Her sense of hope was extraordinary. He noticed her eyes would sparkle whenever she talked about something she loved. Two hours into the conversation, he noticed her drifting off so he gently rested her head on his shoulder and he wrapped an arm around her shoulder as he heard her soft snores, eventually he had drifted off as well.

“So class this is how this week is going to work, we have structured activity and we also have free time where you are free to go and do whatever you want but if I see a boy go upstairs to where the girls are or vice versa. We are leaving. Understand?” Ms George asked. She had been accompanied by the football coach since everyone was afraid of him, even the players. Carter was afraid of him even though he was captain.