Chapter 16 - Counting Stars

Randomly gained followers overnight. Cool xD

“I can’t feel my legs” Carter complained to Nick as they limped through the locker room. The other footballers were either sitting down or lying down on the benches or in an ice bath. He winced as every muscle in his leg hurt when he sat down on a bench next to Nick.

“Next time, think before you make me assistant Captain” Nick said, Carter chuckled at that, the coach always gave the captain and the assistant captain a hard time. “You’re my best friend but there are other guys on this team who handle pain better.”

He pat Nick on the back and chuckled when he hissed in pain. Just then Lucky’s boyfriend, Sam, stormed in the gym angrily, holding a ball in one hand and his other fist was clenched. Carter cocked one eyebrow when Sam dropped the ball and walked towards him and Nick.

“What did you tell Lucky?” Sam asked, looking pissed. Nick and Carter gave each other questioning looks and then they both shrugged.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” Carter said with a shrug, trying to keep his temper in check. He’s never liked Sam because of the way he treats Lucky.

“Lucky broke up with me. I’m sure you have something to do with it!” Sam yelled, looking furious. His hand swung as if he was about to punch Carter but luckily, Nick stopped his fist and stood up.

“Calm down, man” Nick said, shoving Sam’s hand away roughly.

“Oh well, there’s always Maria” Sam said with a smirk. Carter stood up and shoved Sam away while Nick stood there seething. He put an arm on Nick’s shoulder and glared at Sam.

“Maybe Lucky found someone who could actually kick a ball” Carter shot at him, his blood boiling. He ignored the fact that the whole football team were watching. He smirked at Sam when he glared at him and stormed off.

“Oh yeah, how you like me now?” Nick yelled after him. Carter burst out laughing and gave him a fist bump. He felt glad that Lucky and Sam broke up. It meant her heart was free to like whoever she chose. And he felt a little ember of hope that that person was him.

“Hey Carter, you have a visitor” Uncle Sid said as soon as he came back from school. Carter cocked one eyebrow, there was no one else in the living room. His uncle chuckled and pointed to Carter’s bedroom door. He nodded in understanding and dropped his bag on the couch and opened the door to his room slowly and grinned when he saw Lucky sitting on the couch in his room. Her feet swinging idly. He felt his heart rate pick up when she looked up to smile at him.

“Hey Lucky” he said, taking the seat next to her.

“I broke up with Sam” she said, he noticed her voice sounded slightly relieved.

“Yeah I know, he thinks it’s my fault” Carter said, feeling his blood boil at the confrontation in the locker room.

“Well it’s-” she started, her voice shaky but she quieted down, looking off into the distance. Carter looked in the direction where she was looking and saw a picture of Sarah sitting on his dresser. Lucky stood up and picked up the picture, inspecting it. He felt his breath hitch at this, he wasn’t ready to tell Lucky the truth about Sarah. “She’s your girlfriend?”

“Kinda” Carter said softly, feeling his heart lurch at the heartbroken look on Lucky’s face. “Are you okay?”

“She’s beautiful” Lucky said, his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion when he heard how her voice was shaky. “I should go” she said suddenly.

“Why?” Carter asked, he didn’t want her to leave just yet. “You just got here”.

“Bye Carter” she said quickly and stormed out the apartment. He stared after her retreating figure in confusion. She had seemed upset after he said Sarah was his girlfriend. He sighed, looking at the picture of Sarah. He had considered moving the picture considering his feelings for Lucky but he couldn’t bring himself to do it just yet.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

“So wait Lucky hasn’t spoken to you in two days?” Nick asked, Carter cocked one eyebrow when he noticed how amused his friend was. “It’s obvious she’s jealous.”

“Why would she be jealous of Sarah? She’s not even alive” Carter said softly, feeling a muscle in his jaw tick as he said that.

“Did you tell Lucky that?” Nick asked.

“No” he muttered, feeling embarrassed.

“Here’s what I think happened. Lucky likes you so she broke up with Sam and she went over to your place to say how she felt about you but she sees Sarah’s picture and gets upset and leaves because you said Sarah was your girlfriend but you didn’t say she was six feet under” Nick said, leaning against the locker.

“I don’t think-” he started but Nick cut him off.

“Do you have feelings for Lucky?” he asked. Carter felt his heart rate pick up and he nodded slowly. Nick was his best friend so he didn’t mind telling him. “I knew it!” he exclaimed happily. A few students to turn around and look at the pair.

“Shut up man” Carter hissed, tapping the back of a smirking Nick’s head as they walked out the doors of the school. Carter stopped when he saw his car and leaned against it.

“Well, are you going to tell her how you feel?” Nick asked. Carter shook his head quickly and looked down at his hands. He would be betraying Sarah if he did something like that.

“I can’t do that. Sarah only died three months ago” Carter said, feeling his heart clench.

“Look, Carter. You can’t live like that” Nick said, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Sarah would want you to move on.”

“Okay so let’s say I decided to tell her how I feel, what am I supposed to say?” Carter asked.

“Pretend I’m Lucky. What would you say?” Nick asked, moving off the car and standing in front of Carter.

“Lucky, I like you?” Carter said but it sounded more like a question.

“Is that all you got? I thought you liked me. Make me believe it” Nick joked making Carter chuckle. Just then a guy on the football team passed by and gave them a weird glance. “Wait no! Man I didn’t mean it. I got a girlfriend” Nick called after the guy.

Carter burst out laughing and ignored Nick’s glare as he got in his car. He was going to find a way to get Lucky to start back talking to him.

Hey! Hey! Hey! So thanks for following me to all the new followers.

For some reason I picture everyone in this book with a Boston accent. I’m not crazy.

Carter and Nick have such a bromance like wow.

So more Lucarter next chapter.

*NOT EDITED*