Debriefing Part 1

The rain has stopped but the fresh scent of it still lingers in the air. I look up at the night sky, filled with stars. The light of the spacecraft heading down to Yavin_4 moves slowly closer. I squeeze Rey's hand, the pinch of her ring making me smile as we wait in silence for my mom to arrive. I'm not a hundred percent sure Luke is with her, but he's definitely back. I can sense him, like an old, familiar feeling from childhood.

"Good thing you could tell your mom was coming long before she got here," Rey says, also looking up.

I is strange that I could sense her from so far away. Her Force connection to me feels a lot stronger.She hasn't even arrived yet and we've already had time to pack up our stuff. 

"Where do you think Master Luke's been this whole time?" Rey asks.

"I don't know." I watch the spacecraft approach, within the planet's atmosphere now. "I don't think Snoke ever had him."

A loud rushing sound like wind fills the forest as the shuttle lands in a nearby clearing. I squeeze Rey's hand again. Are you ready for this?

Don't worry. Your mother's amazing. I don't think she'll be upset that we're... unofficially married.

It's official to me  I smile at Rey.  But I meant my Uncle Luke. He's my old Jedi Master and he's quite strict.

Rey hugs my arm. I think he'll understand.

The swaying tree tops settle down and the loud sounds stop, leaving the forest in peace again.

We walk forward, our boots squishing in the mud. I shift my bag on my shoulder and sigh. How do I tell my mom and Uncle Luke that Rey and I are, as far as we're concerned, married?

A memory surfaces from my thoughts as we make our way through the trees to the clearing, my mom's words to me when I was little. 'One day you'll find someone special Ben, and then the need to fit in at school, or anywhere else, won't seem to matter so much anymore.'

I never believed I'd ever find someone though. I was too different, too scary. And I didn't even want to try to find someone anyway because I was afraid I'd end up hurting her, the way my grandfather hurt my grandmother. I look over at Rey walking beside me. She's strong, and in some ways stronger than I am.

The slushing of our boots is drowned out by the loud hiss of the shuttle's bay door as it opens. We stop in front of the ramp as it slowly lowers. At the top stands my mom and beside her my Uncle Luke. He is dressed in black clothes and a dark grey cloak, not the sand coloured clothes I'd become accustomed to seeing him in.

"Ben." Mom smiles. Uncle Luke nods to us and they come down the ramp. Mom gives me a hug and I have to lean down far to hug her back. When she lets me go I turn to my Uncle.

You're ready now  he says, giving me a quick hug as well. You had to pass your greatest test, before I could see you again, facing your inner hatred and despair, and giving up the desire for ultimate power, to work together with others instead to bring peace to the Galaxy.

He turns to Rey and extends a hand in greeting to her.

"We meet again," he says.

She smiles and takes his hand to shake it. "It's wonderful to see you again Master Luke."

"You brought me back my light saber..." Uncle Luke reaches into his robe pockets. "And now I have brought one for you." He hands her a light saber and gives me another one. Rey's ignites in her hand with a bright purple glow. "Now, we're ready to restore balance to the Galaxy."

Mom smiles at him and Rey retracts her light saber, putting it away. The air crackles with energy around the four of us, all Force sensitive, standing together in one spot. The energy is so strong that my skin breaks out in goosebumps. Each of our Force energies seem to balance in strength.

I look at my Mom. "Mom?" My eyebrows shoot up.

A crack of lightning splits the sky on the horizon and we all turn to look, except for Mom. She crosses her arms and smiles.

You're using your Force powers?   I ask her.

I am  she nods to me then looks at Rey and winks.

"We're ready now," she says. "It's time for us to fulfill our destiny."