Ahch-To, Part 7

The smell of burning wood fills the air and my eyes burn with the smoke shifting to our side of the campfire. We're away from the party that is still in full swing, but close enough that I can still hear their cheers and singing. I'm glad Finn insisted on making the fire. Its warmth heats my cheeks and hands.

"So you're sure it was a vision from the Force, not just a dream?" Finn asks, his eyes reflecting the fire as he looks at me. I nod.

"It was a voice, a clear voice," I say. "And I felt the power it held. It gave me strength in the interrogation room, to get free of the chair and take Kylo Ren's light saber."

Finn takes a deep breath then looks back at the fire. It crackles as we sit together.

"General Leia told me not to touch it," I whisper. "Even Kylo warned me against it."

"What does your heart tell you?" Finn asks. I look up at him in surprise.

"I..." There's no question as to what my heart tells me. It tells me to listen to the voice and take the light saber to Coruscant.

"Should we talk to General Leia? We could dispatch a fleet of-" Finn starts to say but I interrupt.

"No, I need to do this by myself. She'd never let me take the light saber anyway. And the fleet will draw the attention of the First Order. I get the feeling this is best done in secret."

"I'll go with you."

"No," I shake my head. "I just need you to take me to the sealed vault in the catacombs, so I can get the light saber."

"I know I'm not Force sensitive, and that you're probably a thousand times stronger than me. But I can help you fly the Millennium Falcon."

"BB-8 will help me."

Finn seems to think about this as he watches the fire. "I won't be tempted by the light saber," he says softly. "I'm not Force sensitive like you, so it won't be as dangerous in my hands. I should be the one to carry it."

I'm about to object but then stop. "You're right."

"When everyone is sleeping, we'll go."

* * *

"Thanks for doing this," I say to Poe as he unlocks the large battleship bay doors where the equipment repair area is.

"No problem," Poe says. The big doors slide open and we walk inside.

"I didn't want to sleep alone." I clear my throat. "That is, I didn't want to leave BB-8 here alone all night."

"I understand," Poe says. He walks ahead of me down the corridor and I follow. We enter an open room with lots of tables laden with broken equipment and robotic parts. Poe spots BB-8 first and we walk over. She's unmoving and unresponsive.

"What's wrong with her?" I say, my voice rising.

"She's been disabled-"

"What?" My breathing becomes faster now. "Why would they shut her off?"

"I'm not sure." Poe finds the switch and BB-8 comes to life. She looks frantically around, her head spinning to and fro, stopping at me.

"Rey," she beeps. "I thought you left to go find Kylo without me."

"No..." I give her a hug. "I'd never do that. They were just repairing you." I look down at her still dented compartment door.

"I guess they didn't get around to it yet," Poe says.

"I told them I wanted to see you," BB-8 beeps. "But they powered me off." She becomes still suddenly and then starts moving again, turning to Poe. "I have new programming."

"What kind of new programming?" I ask.

"I don't know. I can't access it but it's taking up a lot of my memory."

I lift BB-8 off the table and set her on the ground. "Let's get you out of here."

"Are we going to find Kylo now?" she asks.

"No," I say. Poe gives me a curious look but doesn't ask. "We're going to bed early. It's been a long night."

"But you don't want to sleep remember?"

"Of course I do," I try to make a convincing chuckle, but fail terribly. "Thanks for your help Poe."

"No problem. I think I'll stay here and work on this engine."

"Sure." I can't tell if he's genuinely interested in fixing the engine or just needing an excuse for some time alone. "Thanks again."

BB-8 and I turn to leave.

"It's good to have you back," I say to her. "That's the last time I ever let anyone take you away from me."