Ahch-To, Part 8 - I won't Leave You Behind

"Your destiny lies with me, Skywalker"...
"It is useless to resist"
-Darth Vader

-----------

Back at my sleeping chamber I change into my black clothes that I wore on Yavin_4. They've been washed and folded by the sanitation crew, who travel with the larger battleship stations where the fighter planes dock for rest in between missions. A sigh escapes me as I slip my arms into the soft fabric. My belt is also with the clothes and I put that on too once I'm dressed.

"We're going back for Kylo," I say to BB-8. "I won't leave him behind."

She bleeps excitedly.

"But first, we have to get his light saber and take it to Coruscant."

"Rey?" I turn and see Finn standing there. "Sorry!" His cheeks flush. "There are no doors in this place and the curtain... well Poe said you wanted to see me?" Finn's flush deepens as I finish clipping on my belt.

"Yes, you wouldn't happen to know anything about BB-8 getting new programming would you?"

"Um... no, I don't know." Finn adjusts his jacket and runs a hand over his short hair. "Are you going to sleep for a bit? Before we go down into the catacombs?"

I shake my head no but then I see the expectant look in Finn's eyes, like he's hoping to hang out with me.

"I might sleep actually," I say.

We stand in silence for a moment then Finn turns to leave. "Okay, well, I'll let you rest." He walks to the entrance way then stops. "Would you like me to stay?"

"No," I say quickly. "I'm just going to rest. Will you let me know when the General is asleep?"

"Yes," he smiles. "I'll check in on everyone late at night and come let you know."

"Thanks."

He leaves through the curtain.

I tell BB-8 about my visions and how Kylo came to visit me in a dream the previous night and my vision of me as a Sith Lord. I leave out the part about Kylo kissing me. Then I tell her about my vision through the eyes of the eagle and the planets being destroyed. BB-8 listens then turns her head to me.

"So Kylo's not allowed to sleep or dream?"

"I guess not."

"But he was laying with you all night on Yavin_4. Did he lay there that whole time awake?"

"I..."

My shoulders slump and I sit down on the bed. Then I drop my head into my hands and cry.

"What's wrong?" BB-8 beeps. I can't answer. I pull my knees up and hug them to my chest.

"BB-8. Will you wake me in half an hour? In case I fall asleep?" I say between staggered breaths. "I'm just... going... to rest for a bit. I won't dream that fast. Please just wake me."

"Okay."

I lay down on my side and turn my back to BB-8 curling up into a ball. My belt digs into my side but I don't care.

Kylo, I'm not going to leave you behind.

I dream of a dark place, filled with black ashes, on the ground and on the walls and in the air. My boot is covered in soot and so are my dessert clothes, which I'm now wearing. A hooded figure watches me from the shadows. It has glowing eyes.

Come to me. I'll show you the way to go. Just follow his suffering and pain

It's Snoke. I can't speak or reply to him, only listen. He's got me in a hold that clenches my heart so tight that it's as though my chest is hollow and I'm not even alive. Snoke raises his arm slowly, out to the side. I look to where he's indicating. I see Kylo, tied to a post, slumped down, knees bent, beaten and bleeding, his head bowed.

"No!" I yell. I try to move, try to run to him but I'm frozen.

Come save him. It's you I want. I'll let him go, if you bring yourself to me.

I swallow hard and turn my attention to Snoke.

"I will come."

No, Rey. Don't come. It's Kylo, he's raised his head and is now looking at me.

I made a promise not to let you go... 

Don't come, Rey. He's lying to you.

"Quiet!" Snoke's voice thunders. He thrusts out his arm and Kylo cries out in pain.

"Stop!" I yell.

"Rey? Rey?" BB-8's beeps enter my thoughts and I wake. "It's been half an hour. You told me to wake you."

"We can't wait any longer BB-8, we have to go now."